Part 42

"Jack! Jack! No!" I was trying to scream but no sound was coming out.

   Suddenly everything went black.

   "Santiago." Someone cried. "This was all my fault."

    I couldn't see anything but I could hear an absolutely hysterical Jack muttering to himself and I felt his warm hands holding one of mine.

    "God, oh my god this was all my fault."

    I tried every muscle in my body but none of them seemed to work. I wanted nothing more than to tell him that none of this was his fault.

    Just as I tried to speak I realized that this was all a dream. It had to be right?

    Then the door opened and in the doorway stood Travis, holding his gun.

    I tried to throw my arms around Jack, trying to shield him from the gun that was now pointed at us but I still could not move.

    "Jack! Jack!"

    I opened my eyes and soon realized that I was in someone's arms.

    "Oh my god you're okay."

     It took me a second to realize that I had been violently shaking and sobbing into Jack's chest. When I had finally calmed down I could not stop shaking, and for the first time I saw the large brace on my arm. He loosened his arms around me and I managed to mutter, "I love you."

    "I love you." His voice sounded so hurt and distraught and for the first time since I had actually woken up I saw his face. He looked like a total mess, his eyes were red, his left eye had a few small stitches under it, and the bags under his eyes were so deep. His face looked red and puffy and his hair was not in it's usual perfect style.

     "I should have gone looking for you earlier. None of this would have happened and, and-"

    Before I could respond the door slowly opened but it still scared me to death. I instinctively jumped into Jack's arms until I realized that it sent a shocking pain through my chest. I looked up and saw it was just a doctor walking in.

     "Hello Santiago, very glad to see you're up. My name is Doctor Thompson and I've been taking care of you for the past few days-"

    "Past few days?" I was confused.

    "You've been in this coma like state for almost four days now. Ms. Lopez if you don't mind, I'd like to discuss this with you in private." He glanced towards Jack.

   "No. He's staying." I said, not letting go of Jack's hand.

    The doctor gave me a reluctant look before pulling up a chair next to the bed. "Ms. Lopez I don't know if you are aware of the severity of some of your injuries. First, you overdosed on what we believe was cocaine, that put you in the coma like state. Second, your arm was broken at the elbow but there was a lot of damage so as soon as you're in a more stable condition we'll have to go back a do a reconstructive surgery to fix it. The last of your main injuries was the two broken ribs. That is why you have probably had some pain with your breathing."

    Overdose? Broken elbow, broken ribs?

    "Now other than all of that you have some major bruising and a couple of stitches on your chin and jawline." He paused. "You're very lucky. If those three gentlemen didn't bring you in here when they did, you might not have made it."