Chapter 21

Read authors note!

*

Cain was deep in thoughts, maybe he needed to show her. Show her what he was. Maybe she'll be safer that way. Or maybe she'll run away, thinking he was a monster.

He made up his mind.

"I need to take you somewhere."

Her eyes widened and her mind was flooded with thoughts. She looked at him, confused.

"Why? Where?" She asked in a rush. She knew it was serious, the way his body was tensed in his chair, the way his jaw clenched.

He let out a shaky breath, "It's important." He stared out the window that sat next to him. He bit the inside of his cheek and he glanced back to her. The way the sun fell over her, her ruby lips were parted and her eyes sparkled. He knew that he shouldn't be keeping this secret from her. She deserved something better.

I was scared of the way she will react. Will she run away, screaming monster? Or will she slowly accept it? Slowly accept what I am?

He sighed, "We need to go back to the hotel." She nodded and she felt the sense of panicking, her hand clenched and unclenched, her hand running through her hair continuously.

*

"Pack your things," Cain ordered once we were in the room. She looked over at him with shock, "We haven't even spent the night."

He growled, which sent shivers down her spine. Her mouth snapped shut and she hurriedly ran to her clothes and stuffed them in the bag.

She turned to me with her arms filled with the many bags that we brought to the room. Her eyes were casted down to the floor, her body was shaking slightly.

I let out a frustrated sigh and I took long strides to her. I grabbed her wrists gently and let the bags drop to the floor.

"W-What are you doing?" She stuttered quietly, looking at my chest.

"Look at me," I whispered and her eyes were slowly drawn up.

His eyes were trained on her lips. "Never be afraid of me," I didn't speak.

Once he let go of her hands, she bent down and gathered the bags in her arms once again while Cain looked around the room for anymore of her belongings.

He pushed off the wall he was leaning on and he studied her. Her lips formed a little smile as she thought. A strand of black hair brushed her pale, yet rosy cheeks.

"Let's go," He whispered softly.

*

The sun was going down, setting a pink blush across the sky. The clouds were slowly disappearing as the car sped down the road. The trees blurred past us, silence surrounded us.The windows were open making a soft breeze.

"Cain?" She asked softly, her eyes trained on him. He averted his gaze to her and his eyes softened.

"Yes?"

"Where are we going?" She bent toward him, laying her hand over his white in knuckles on the wheel. His body relaxed under her touch,"California."

Her eyes brightened, "California?" She repeated with excitement. He smile at her reaction, then it faltered at the thought of why they were actually driving to California.

He nodded and mumbled, "Yes." He didn't look at her.

"Can we go to the beach?" She asked, trying to get his attention. He looked at her and his lips formed a line, "Too many people." She nodded and sat back and relaxed in her seat. She drew her knees to her chest and stared out the window. She felt trapped. She didn't like that they had to be cautious of everything.

He swallowed hard and tightened his grip on the wheel, he would keep her safe, even if it meant keeping her away from everything.

He felt the need to protect her.

She tried to imagine Caleb's laughter, his little squeals when we chased him, his sparkling eyes.. She loved him like he was her own son.

Cain noticed the sudden change in her mood and his eye brows furrowed. He noticed the soft smile that brightened her face, but what caught his attention was the little tear making it's way down her face.

He brought his attention back to the road and bit his lip to keep him from saying anything, she needed space.

A bright light filled the car, and he squinted when he looked in his mirrors, noticing that it was headlights.

His eyes widened when he saw who the driver was and he cursed underneath his breath, "Shit."

--------------------

Good or bad?

The winner for the contest, for this chapter, is EmilyNicholls2 !

Thank you so much for the entries but keep them coming! Soon I'll announce the winner for the whole book! Please try to make the book covers somewhat professional, if I like it enough and decide to keep it, I'll announce your name in the very first chapter and give you credit. Send me the link!

Wattpad was being stupid and decided not to let me update my chapter and keep what I wrote so I had to write this chapter 4 times..

Please vote and comment!

Bye my lovelies!