chapter three - ❝now, tell me what you need help with.❞

"Ced, it's been an entire day and I still haven't found my tie, nor has anyone dropped it off in front of the door." (Y/N) bit her lip. Since it was the weekend, the teachers weren't so strict about the uniform. But when classes started—which was tomorrow already—she would probably not hear the end of it from most of the teachers.

"At least you'll keep the teacher busy," Cedric grinned, but (Y/N) wasn't really in the mood to smile at his silly joke. She was icebearing, on hand on her chest, where her tie was supposed to be. Her friend sighed. "There's no way someone would steal it. I mean, it's a black-and-yellow tie, no one outside Hufflepuff would want to take it." He scratched his head. "And what good does it do to own two ties?"

(Y/N) groaned and walked towards the door. She wasn't wearing her robe, neither was she wearing her vest—just her plain white blouse with no tie. "Where are you going?" Cedric asked.

"Library," she answered. "I'll just go study a bit for DADA. Perhaps I'll find someone who can teach me there."

"Want me to come?"

(Y/N) clicked her tongue. "Mm, it's not really necessary. Isn't there Quidditch practice today? Go prep, I'll meet you there later." She softly punched his shoulder and smiled, walking out of the common room.

× × × × ×

The library wasn't too crowded, but completely deserted wasn't the way to describe it as well. (Y/N) walked into the library without books or anything to write with or on—it was because she hoped to find the boy, Tom Riddle.

For some reason, she felt a little weird around him. It was not uncommon, though, people felt weird around him all the time. It was as if, in another universe, Tom Riddle was a murderer and that everyone knew about it. Such things surely aren't true.

She didn't watch where she was going and bumped into a taller figure, causing her to look up to see who it was. She exclaimed with a smile as she saw the handsome lad before her. "Tom!"

His cheeks slowly turned into a different shade, his pale skin turning pinker every second he spent looking into (Y/N)'s eyes.  But, that was all she could see about him—his expression was still as flat as ever, as if he had the intention to kill. Planning a murder. (Y/N) took a step back, creating a little space between them. "I was looking for you."

"Looking for me?" Tom asked, eyebrows kneaded and his head tilted a little. It was good. He looked good. Before she could say anything to him, Tom was faster. "Well, me too. I wanted to say that— if you, perhaps, need someone to teach you DADA, I might be able to help. But I can't promise anything."

"Oh, don't be so modest, Tom," (Y/N) smiled. "I'll do my best to understand! It was actually the same reason I was looking for you." She sat down at the nearest table, waiting for Tom to join her. He looked at her in confusion. "Don't you... have any books?"

(Y/n) blinked and laughed nervously. She knew she came here for the sole purpose of meeting Tom, but in reality, she didn't really think she would find him. "I— I left them at my bed," she quickly responded. "The whole night I've— I've been trying to, y'know, understand."

"At least your dedication is the right amount to pass your classes," Tom smiled. The way his lips curved into a warm smile, it was flustering. (Y/N) could feel her cheeks burning up, but she didn't care. She didn't know why, but she felt like she wanted Tom to realize her feelings, as soon as possible—but he had to figure it out himself. (Y/N) grinned, and leaned her head on the palm of her right hand. "What's your secret, Tom? Being a really good student?"

"I've nothing else to focus on," he said as he turned around to find a Defence Against Dark Arts book for them to study from. "Not many friends, no family at all, and I don't really have hobbies." It sounded sad, the way he said it, but his expression really did not support his tone—he seemed indifferent of it all.