chapter ten - ❝i'd like to make a toast.❞

For some reason the way to the library seemed just a step away because before she knew it, (Y/N) stood right in front. She was nervous and her heart was pounding, basically threatening to break out her chest any minute. She could see Tom sit at his usual table, a single book in front of him. His mind was in another place — (Y/N) knew she had to bring him back though. This was very important. More important than any of his books.

Taking the tiniest steps, (Y/N) made her way to Tom. He hadn't noticed her yet and when she stood in front of him, she decided to clear her throat to get his attention.

"(Y/N)?"

His soft voice made her entire system tremble and knowing that she had to confess her feelings sooner or later, she couldn't bring out anything. Her face was red and her eyes were fixed on anything else but Tom's — all the things to avoid his gaze.

"Is... is there something I can help you with?"

(Y/N) breathed out of her mouth and then bit her lip. The innocent look on his face. What if Paula was wrong? What if he didn't like her and this would only mark as the biggest embarrassment in her entire life on Hogwarts?

She snapped out of her thoughts at the sound of Tom's book closing. He stood up and put it back on the shelves, before walking towards (Y/N) to face her. "Are you alright?"

The girl sucked in a breath. "Come to Hogsmeade with me?" she squeaked, her words so fast Tom could barely make a sentence out of it. He blinked — (Y/N) wasn't sure if it was because he was embarrassed, or if it was because he was unwilling to. She didn't look up to him until he answered.

"Alright."

Then Tom proceeded to walk in front as if it was him who asked her — he seemed distant. (Y/N) was afraid she might have done something wrong to upset him, done something that would make him dislike her. She couldn't see his face the entire way as he didn't look back to her — perhaps there really was something wrong?

"Tom..." (Y/N) pulled on his sleeve, which made him stop walking, but not quite turn around. The thought of him being mad or disappointed in her made her anxious already, and she was scared she only made it worse by stopping him. Perhaps this wasn't the right day to tell him.

"Hm?"

His voice. (Y/N)'s heart melted everytime she heard it and this was no different — she stared at him for seconds after he hummed shortly.

"I— I'm sorry, it's nothing." Her mind screamed to cancel her plan, to abort this mission — her heart told her other things, though. Her heart told her to tell him, tell him how she felt about him, how much only the thought of him made her smile, the way she wanted to hold him in her arms and cuddle the night away. The other half of her heart told her to grab his wrist and pull him down to her face, just smacking her lips on his. But, (Y/N) knew better than to listen to that part of her heart — it happened once, never again.

(Y/N) had let go of Tom's sleeve and she was still walking behind him, scared he might think ill of her if she'd show her face. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Professor Lupin walk towards his office with a cup of coffee in his hand — (Y/N) could've sworn the man winked at her. She shook it out of her thoughts.

While her previous journey towards the library to find Tom went by quickly, the way to get outside of the castle felt like hours. As if she had been walking hours behind Tom Riddle, as if they were walking through the desert and Tom was a rather quiet guide. They were silent the whole time, no speaking between them. At some points it felt peaceful while at others, (Y/N) wished he would at least glance at her. They finally arrived at the entrance of Hogwarts — Professor Sprout stood there with, as expected, a pot of daisies in her arms. "Off to Hogsmeade, (Y/N)?" she smiled, stealing a look at the person in front of her student, silently chuckling. "I'd give you these daisies to put in the common room, but I see you've got your hands full already!" A warm laugh came from Professor Sprout and (Y/N) continued to walk after she smiled and waved at her teacher. Tom didn't even stop walking — he was a few meters ahead, already on the bridge and (Y/N) ran after him.