Chapter 14

His silence was deafening, and I swallowed hard. I could feel my hopeful determination suddenly wither away, and I let out a shaky breath of realization. Jenna was right. I fiddled with my thumbs as we stood there awkwardly in the corridor.

"I'm sorry. For interrupting."

I turned on my heel and began my brisk walk of humility back to the elevators as I struggled to make sense of the situation. All I knew for certain was that I wasn't angry. I was disappointed, for believing so strongly in something that was never really there to begin with. I jabbed the button for the elevator, feeling my cheeks flush as I stifled the urge to look back.

"Rachel."

I hung my head in dismay. Shit, now I was imagining things. I needed to get my priorities in order, and my mental state for that matter.

"Rachel. Come back."

To think that this all drove me to hallucinations...

"Please," the voice beckoned to me softly and I turned slowly, unsure of what I was hearing.

Lukas was now halfway out the threshold to his apartment, and he looked towards me with a long expression. I pressed my lips into a firm line, expecting more as I dug the tip of my sneaker into the carpeted floor. Lukas nodded, as if reading my mind. I left the elevators, approaching him timidly as he stepped to the side and offered entrance into his apartment.

I entered swiftly and squinted as Lukas shut the door behind himself. Why were there no lights on? Wait, that's right, I had most likely woken him; it would explain his appearance. I relied on my hearing and so I tuned in to Lukas who padded along beside me, and I assumed the apartment had wooden floors. So far, very nice.

I suddenly felt him grip the crevice of my elbow and lead me down a supposed corridor. I kept my head down for some odd reason, but allowed him to take me. Strange, in a scenario such as this, I would never have acted so weirdly. To be more specific, I would never have been so submissive. I hardly knew him, come to think of it, and I was in a dark apartment not having a clue as to where I was going.

But I was pulled from my thoughts as we suddenly entered a dimly lit bedroom. Inside were gray colored walls with clean and modern furniture; all dark wood partnered with an unusually soft, black rug that stretched a sizable amount across the floor. In the middle stood a grand bed, open and sleek with a puffy, black duvet and crisp, white sheets. Two plush pillows sat on top, and I gazed around with silent admiration.

It was very Lukas. Very...straight to the point.

"What are you staring at?"

I turned to Lukas who was across from me, now situated on the edge of his bed with his head in his hands. He made no eye contact with me, yet I cautiously took another step forward into his bedroom.

"You have great style."

I heard a low, throaty chuckle in response, and I smiled softly as my hopes in brightening the mood surfaced. Lukas sighed and leaned back, watching me as I crossed the room and gazed upon his belongings - which weren't much. He had no picture frames or even a fake potted plant. At least that would be low maintenance. I decided, finally, that I needed to address the elephant in the room.

"I needed to see you," I began, biting my lip.

Lukas nodded, gazing at me with impassive eyes. I took it as a sign to continue.

"What happened today?"

Lukas looked away for a moment, before he finally patted the area beside him on the bed.

I tried not to look too eager, but indulged in his warm gesture and quickly sat beside him. I figured that I should just follow along, not push my chances. It was a miracle that I even found him, now I needed Lukas to open up willingly. I waited, gazing at his profile as Lukas took a deep breath.