FOURTEEN

|14

|14.| RIVER FLOWS IN YOU

"Hayley, you can't continue with this."

The former hybrid sits in Cora's bedroom, on the ottoman at the end of her bed with an defeated look rested upon her face. Cora looks over the names on the piece of paper Hayley had kept for who knows how long and reads over the names: Aurora de Martel, Aya Al-Rashed, Takahashi Fukuda, Arthur Bailey, Cadence Flynn, Isaac Pack, and so on. Aya and Aurora's names have been scratched off, leaving more names to be scratched off just the same and the tribrid sighs, handing it back to her.

"Look, I understand your vengeful in the name of your brother, but this is seriously danger—"

"Living under the Mikaelsons is what's dangerous!" Hayley raises her voice and Cora shushes the vampire. "Cora, this is our chance to avenge our loved ones—avenge Susan."

The tribrid folds her arms over her chest, conflicted by the decision. Just then, Elijah walks into the room, and Hayley quickly crumples up the list in her hands while Cora straightens her posture.

"Thought you were in the Bayou?" Elijah looks to both of the girls and Cora shushes him.

"Shh. We just came home so I could feed the girls, put them down for a nap." Cora exhales and Hayley gives her friend a soft nod.

"We're heading back out soon." Hayley surreptitiously puts her list in her jeans pocket.

The vampire gives her friend a glance ready to leave the room, but when she heads toward the door, Elijah notices a smudge of blood on her forehead and frowns in concern.

"Stop." The noble vampire grabs her arm and touches her forehead. "What is this?"

Elijah wipes away some of the blood with his thumb, and Hayley jerks away from him, looking evasive. "Nothing. I just got caught on a thorn."

She walks away from him, purposely not looking him in the eyes, and Elijah seems skeptical of her claims. He remains calm and looks to the alpha.

"You've been spending a lot of time with the Crescents lately," Elijah exclaims and Cora clasps her hands together.

"Well, they need me. Ever since Jason..." Cora trails off, thinking of what Hayley had said earlier before Elijah joined them. As the Marshall grabs her coat and puts it on, Cora speaks up again. "Did you need something, Elijah?"

"I came to check on Melody and Hope. Niklaus is a little overwhelmed with everything," Elijah replies and Cora sighs, rubbing her arm.

"Well, maybe he's right in being paranoid. Seems like every time we pause to catch our breath, someone ends up...dead." Cora hesitates and considers Hayley's motives.

"I'll meet you out in the Bayou, Biter." Hayley gives her alpha one last glance before leaving her room.

The Mikaelson looks to the tribrid mother with worry, but Cora only covers up her worry with a small smile which Elijah doesn't buy easily. Before he can even get a word out, she leaves the room to decide whether she should help Hayley or simply stay out of it.