Chapter 14: Unmasked Emotions

A/N: Hey friends, I'm here and back for more angst!! :D

So WOW, the reception on the previous chapter was downright incredible!! You guys are all so amazing and kind, and every little comment that I get means so much to me! I'm glad that so many people can experience and truly enjoy what I have to offer! Thanks you guys <333

Now, I know this isn't the greatest news to start off with, but as more and more content and detail is being poured into these chapters, they're starting to pretty much always end up longer than I initially expect them to be. In a perfect world, I would be able to publish chapters more often, however with the time it takes to write these and with how much craziness goes on in my every day life, chapter updates truly are looking like they'll only be once a month from here on out.

I know this probably disappoints you guys, but I will continue to release new chapters whenever at all possible! I love all of you guys for constantly reading and enjoying, and I hope that you will understand!

Without further adieu, please enjoy this long awaited, emotional chapter! 

---

Minor Chapter Warnings:

- Descriptive blood

- Shock and trauma

---

People would always say, "Ignorance is bliss."

Until the day of Gunslinger's attack, Marinette never realized how much she underestimated these words.

The hospital room was filled with dead noise, making it almost eerie. No one spoke, no one blinked or sighed or sobbed. Despite their tears oozing with pure emotion, the room was just silent, the gentle audio of the heart monitor being completely drowned out by their own emotions clouding their senses. It was such an uncanny experience for both Marinette and Adrien, they knew that they would never hear dead silence the same as this one ever again.

Because both of their lives had just changed forever in those moments.

"You..." Adrien muttered to the girl across from him, his voice breaking. "It's b-been you all along?"

Marinette hiccuped again, and couldn't bring herself to respond. She only nodded with watery eyes. What would he even think of her at this point?

Her chest ached with a deep pain; the kind of pain that tightens your lungs and causes both panic and tranquility, in a sad way. Tikki looked up at her with sorrowful, albeit expectant, blue eyes. She was waiting for her to explain to Adrien what happened, or to tell him how she felt, to just say something! But god, she had no idea where to start.

Marinette knew that this day would come someday, when the two of them would discover each other's true identities, despite the fact that they weren't supposed to. She always imagined that she would try to remain calm, and to work things out with him or get to know his real self better. Whoever he was.

However, when Chat Noir was revealed to be the boy that she's had a huge crush on for over a year, who sits in front of her in class and she's done projects and events with, and who she admires so much for his kindness and talents, staying calm was a million times easier said than done. Not to mention the fact that he was currently in a hospital bed, recovering with a wound that nearly ended his life, and she had had to witness it.

The pigtailed girl took in a shaky breath, and, her voice croaking, she finally spoke to the boy before her.

"I'm s-sorry Adrien.... there's so much I n-need to say to you, so much that's happened. I j-just..." a voice-breaking sob briefly overtook her before she continued, "Where do I start in a situation like this?! God, I don't know w-what to say!!"