Revelations

Never felt like this before, are we friends or are we more...

Kabir’s POV

What is love?

Some scientists say it is a chemical reaction in your brain and others say a chemical response to an outside stimulus. It involves key biochemical players such as testosterone, endorphins, dopamine, PEA and oxytocin aka the cuddle hormone.

But if it really was only chemical and all that jazz, did it explain the quickening of my heart beat, the flutter in my stomach, the sweaty palms or the feeling I got when I knew my face was getting flushed.

Well basically everything I was feeling at this moment in time.

I had seen her exactly two days ago and had desperately wanted to talk to her but you know, she had run away, as expected. So, I couldn’t.

But somehow, the gods who were watching over me had decided to be generous and had given me another chance. Not that I was using it anyway, well I couldn’t. I felt like my mouth had been sewn shut and I had been for the last five minutes trying really hard to pry them open, but they wouldn’t budge.

Man up Kabir, come on! It’s not like she’ll eat you up or anything, just say hello. Come on!

“Hey”, we said at the same time.

Calm down you loser, let her say whatever she wants to first.

“You first!”

God! Not this again! Are we on the same radio frequency or what?

“Ladies first”, I said in a heartbeat hoping that she wouldn’t say the same thing again.

Of course she won’t you idiot, you’re not a lady, remember?

“How have you been?”, she asked meekly.

I missed her voice, it felt like music to my ears.

“Okay I guess. How about you?”

“I’m well.”

I can’t believe how awkward things had become just because we had stopped seeing each other. But wait! Wasn’t she supposed to be in London? That’s what Zayn said, right?

“I thought you already went back to London? I mean Zayn said that. Actually, never mind.”

“No”, she said confusion etched in her features “I didn’t leave. Doniya was the one who went back.”

Oh crap! Zayn had actually never used a name; he had simply said his ‘sister’ and my stupid brain had somehow come up with the possibility, no certainty that it was Waliyha.

“You’re okay, with me staying here right? I mean I could always go.”

“No, don’t go!”, she shrieked but then seeing me watching she composed herself “I mean, of course I don’t have a problem with you staying here. Why would I?”

Okay, I admit it, that hurt a bit, but it wasn’t like I could do anything about it. I mean she had a fiancé for god’s sake, well so did I.

 “Thanks anyway. For letting us stay, it means a lot.”

“It’s absolutely no big deal K, I mean Kabir.”

I really didn’t want her to correct herself. I know ‘K’ was a nick name exclusively reserved for my loved ones, and just because we were not together anymore, didn’t mean she stopped being one of them.