Chapter XIV

Get up! You're stronger than this. I scolded myself, quickly wiping away my tears. so what if a couple people don't like you? loads already don't, so why does it matter? I stood up, a faint breeze playing with my hair. "Let's go, Ilya." I told myself, stretching. "It doesn't matter." I hopped to the next roof over, deciding what would be the fastest way to go home.

I ran along the rooftops, trying to clear my mind. I jumped onto a slopped roof and accidentally ripped off some tiles. They won't mind. I told myself, even though they probably would.

soon, the city started turning worse and worse until I was standing on the roof of an old crumbling church. I slipped inside, Chrollo was back and so were a few others. I walked up to Chrollo, who glanced at me before making room. I sat down next to him. he seemed to sense my mood and wrapped an arm around me. I greatfully leaned into him. a thought occured to me. "Is Uvo back?" I asked. Chrollo shook his head. "Oh... I should go check on him.." I said, standing up. "Are you sure?" Chrollo asked, "You just got back." I nodded, already at the door. 

"Uvo!" I screamed, watching his limp body fall to the ground. Kurapika was there, but he seemed a bit unstable. his eyes faded from scarlett to grey again. I hopped down the rock, running up to Uvo's body. I collapsed next to it, checking his heart rate. he was dead. I sat there, stunned, shaking, confused. "how..." I whispered. I rolled him over, tears welling in my eyes. Kurapika had ignored me so far, instead walking away and calling someone. I felt something in my heart break, a member of the Phantom Troupe was dead. a member of my family. 

Kurapika looked back at me, face splattered with blood. Uvo's blood. I felt anger... but I couldn't hurt Kurapika... "Ilya.." Kurapika said quietly, putting a hand on my shoulder. I flinched away. "We should bury him." Kurapika told me. I looked down at Uvogin. "Why?" was the only thing I could say. Kurapika didn't answer. "Ilya, are you in the Phantom Troupe?" he asked instead. I nodded slightly. "But I don't kill as much as the others do." I told him, putting my hand through his hair. "We should bury him." Kurapika repeated. I sighed, standing up on shaky legs and following Kurapika.

apparently, Kurapika had prepared. he had brought a shovel with him. I helped him dig out the hole, once he broke the surface I was able to help dig with my hands more.

I felt another wave of distress wash over me as Kurapika started piling dirt back on Uvo. tears spilled from my eyes. "Goodbye... Uvo..." I whispered as Kurapika finished.

"Kurapika..." I whispered. "Yes?" he asked, trying to wipe Uvo's blood off. "Can.." I paused, "Can I stay with you for a while..?" he looked up, surprised. "Why?" "Well... I don't know how I'll be able to be in the troupe without Uvo..." I pushed my tears down. "I just want to wait a couple days for the troupe to get used to living without him.." Kurapika sighed, but agreed.

I texted Chrollo on the way back. Uvogin died. I need some time to think. I'll contact you when I'm ready to come back. he saw it, but didn't respond.

it was slightly uncomfortable, most of Kurapika's fellow guards knew I was in the Phantom Troupe, and therefore refused to leave me alone for even a few minutes. I easily slipped away from them a few times, but they'd always get mad at me for doing that. Only Melody seemed willing to trust me- sort of.

I stood, leaning out the window and watching the busy crowds below. the Haiku man, whose name I hadn't bothered to learn, sat nearby. suddenly, I leaned all the way out,falling down several stories and landing on my feet. the haiku man yelled after me but I ignored him. they practically acted like I was a prisoner.

I decided to go grab something to eat. I found a nice little resturant that looked decent but what surprised me was two familiar faces sitting outside. I pulled up a chair. Nobunaga and Machi didn't seem surprised to see me. I immediately noticed a couple sitting at the table next to us and secretly recording, but I didn't say anything. they were talking about Uvo. "Hey, were you there when he died?" Nobunaga asked. I shook my head, "No, just after." he looked annoyed... well, that was pretty normal. as they continued to talk about Uvo, I felt more guilty at not being able to stop his death. finally, I stood up. "Sorry, I've got to go. See you later." I left before they could respond.

a few hours later I came back to the hotel and left a note for Kurapika, explaining I was going back to the troupe. I knew he may be annoyed, considering his hatred for us. I quickly got over to the church. what I saw surprised me. "Gon? Killua?" I asked in shock, dropping down from the ceiling. Killua stood behind Gon as he was arm wrestling with Nobunaga, who seemed really, really annoyed. neither of them responded, Killua not wanting to get his throat cut and Gon concentrating on the arm wrestling. I landed in the middle of the group. Killua glared at me and I felt guilty. I winced as Gon's hand dripped blood onto the rock they were using as a table. "Nobunaga..." I whispered, stepping towards the table. he glared at me, "Shut up." I wasn't surprised, he was usually pretty snappy. I stepped back, if anyone did try to kill Killua or Gon, I'd grab them and run. I knew the others would think I'd betrayed them but... Killua and Gon are just kids... Gon's rage started showing, Nobunaga had started talking about how much he missed Uvo. "Why couldn't you spare a fraction of that grief for the people you killed?!?" He demanded, slamming Nobunaga's hand onto the rock table. everyone was shocked, especially Nobunaga. before I could do anything, Feitan held Gon's arm behind his back. "You're getting too cocky." He told Gon, slamming him onto the rock. "Gon!" Killua yelled, stepping forwards. he was halted by Hisoka holding a card to his neck. I stepped forward. "Let Gon go." I told Feitan calmly. Nobunaga surprisingly agreed, telling Feitan not to torture Gon. Tension grew between them. I sighed, shaking my head. "Hey, quit it." Franklin told them. "Troupe members aren't allowed to have serious fights." Shizuku reminded him. "I know!" Nobunaga told them irritably. "we flip a coin." he took a gold coin out of his pocket. one side had a spider, the other had a web. he tossed it into the air, catching it on his arm. Feitan claimed tails, Nobunaga heads. I sighed in relief, it was heads.

Did ya enjoy? also, random pic of Kurapika and Hisoka at the top xD see y'all next time.