Chapter 3 Blink

I've grown used to the all too failure deep achy throb of bone pain, so it doesn't keep me from doing as much as it used to. However sometimes it will be so bad that it wakes me up from my sleep, like it did this morning. I now sit on the edge of my bed at five in the morning. School starts at eight, so I have time to kill. I look around my large bedroom; the room has always been one of my favorites in the house. It has an odd shape because it's one of the corner rooms, the wall my bed is on runs in a straight line and has one long window on my right side, then the wall goes down just long enough for me to have a nightstand beside my bed then it curves into the corner of the apartment and in the corner is a big window that looks over the street and has a seat that I decorated with turquoise pillows and silver cushions. What I love about my room, aside from the window seat, is that it's very open-there isn't a lot of crowded space.

I walk over to my window seat and perch against the window, the coolness of the glass feels good on my hot forehead. Even though it is still technically summer, the days have been cooler than normal. I stare out at the awakening city-not that it ever sleeps. The street lights are just beginning to turn off as the sun ever so slowly begins to rise, giving the sky a soft faded blue color. I lean my head against the window and stare blankly up at my ceiling, wondering what my life would be like if I wasn't... sick. My biggest problem right now would be getting into college. But every time I take myself down that road, I have to think about how other thing's would differ too. My relationship with my brother, and I always wonder if mine and Justin's relationship would be different as well.

What to wear, what to wear I wonder to myself as I stand in front of my endless closet. I dig into my jeans and pull out a pair of dark wash distressed boot cut jeans with rips all down the knees. I pair it with a neon yellow spaghetti strap shirt that had a smooth silky teaxture that felt amazing against my skin, and my black high heeled boots. Moving on to my vanity I do my eye makeup with winged eye liner and line my water line with black. I don't do anything with my hair just brush it, I dont want to do any damage to it to lose it faster. I sigh heavily as my head begins to throb. I head down stairs to take my medicine.

"Jessica?" My mothers worried voice comes from upstairs.

"Dang it." I say under my breath, I'd hoped that my parent's would've left for work already. "Down here mom."

"What are you doing up?" she questions as she fastenes on her earrings.

"Taking my medicine."

"Do you need a ride to school?"

I look at the clock glowing on the oven, "Mom, its six thirty, school doesnt start till eight."

"Right. We'll I'll see you tonight." She says and then leaves for work.

I stand in the dark, confused. What was that about? My mother never offers me a ride to school and she knows what time it starts. My brothers loud footsteps coming down the stairs interrupts my thoughts.

"Colby?"

"Yeah?" Colby says flipping the kitchen light on, his hair was messy and his eyes were still sleepy.

"What's with mom?" I ask.

His eyes widened to normal and the sleepiness disappears form his body.

"I, I dont know."

I narrow my eyes at him. "Colby?"

"You hungry? You should eat more, you're a twig." He asks moving swiftly to the fridge.

"Gee thanks." I say sarcastically.

I was about to peruse the matter further when our buzzer went off, signaling that there was someone wanting to come up. I slowly make my way over to the buzzer and hold down the button.