Chapter 4 C Is NOT For Cancer

It's always amazed me how whenever you pass out it only seems to last a matter of minutes. When I feel myself coming to, I begin to open my eyes and slowly my vision goes from being a blur of images to a complete picture. Justin sits beside me, Emilee stands beside my bed, and my mother is beside Emilee. I'm in the hospital... Why? What happened? I start to lift my hand and it's caught by Justin's hand.

"Jess. Jess baby are you okay?" Justin asks.

I stare in slight confusion at him. "I-I don't know...what..." I trail off as an I.V. bag that has a tube running into my arm catches my attention.

"Justin, I've got this." My mother says laying her hand on Justin's shoulder.

"Mom?" My voice cracks.

"Doctor Mapstone wants you to start chemo."

My eyes start to fill with tears.

"Misses F, why don't you go home, let everyone know she's okay. We'll take care of her." Emilee says to my mother.

My mother looks at me and then kisses my forehead before she leaves.

The room is silent until the minuet the door closes behind her. I begin to cry uncontrollably.

"Jess, baby, don't cry this is going to help you get better." Justin try's to calm.

"That's not why I'm crying. I'm going to lose my hair!"

Emilee's cry turns into a laugh.

"That doesn't always happen." Justin smiles.

I try to regain my composure but it takes me quite a few minutes before I completely stop sobbing and take a few much needed deep breaths.

"So what happened?" I finally ask.

Justin and Emilee exchange glances.

"You, don't remember?" Justin asks.

"No..." I trail off, trying to remember what happened before everything went white.

"You fainted. Doctor Mapstone say's your white blood cell counts were really low." Emilee say's.

"So I guess this makes it real." I state.

"What do you mean?" Justin asks, still holding my hand.

"I really am in stage four."

The next day I was scheduled to have surgery to put in a port. Surgeries don't scare me anymore, but they do make me nervous. I waited slightly anxious, in my hospital bed. My mother stayed for a few hours until she got a call from a client and had to leave. Colby came and stayed with me until he eventually had to leave to make it to one of his university classes.

There was a knock on the door and I expected the doctor to come in, but to my excitement and surprise, it was Justin.

"What are you doing here?" I ask with a smile.

Justin smiles and leans over me to plant a soft kiss to my lips before sitting in the chair next to me.

"Colby called and told me you were here by yourself, so I left school to come be with you."

I almost cried. How could I be so blessed? Justin made everything better.

"Thank you."
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
"Ow." I whine as the nurse access my port.

"It's okay baby." Justin say's kissing my hand that he was holding.

"Justin." I cry.

"It's okay, Jess they got it."