Chapter 12

The ballroom is just as I remember, only this time the decorations are a darker, more refined shade. And instead of people twirling through the tiled floors, Goblins jump around each other, not really fighting, but not really dancing.

Hoggle and Ludo are in the back corner, sitting in a pile of pillows that had been laid out for a sitting area. 

Jareth let's go of my arm and moves into the crowd.

"Go on now, your friends will want to talk to you now. Besides, I have to go mingle before the Goblins swarm me." He says, not facing her as he leaves.

I stand there staring at him until the crowd completely swallows him. But even with all of the goblins swarming him, I am still able to catch a small glimpse of him as he continues on towards the opposite side of the room.

Not seeing any point in following him, I head towards Hoggle and Ludo.

"Sawah!" Ludo cries happily.

"How ya doin' kiddo?" Hoggle asks.

"I'm alright. You guys didn't have too much trouble with Toby did you?" I ask, trying my best to sit down in the mass amount of pillows.

"No, the little brat behaved himself for the most part. He even managed to chase off all of the Goblins who tried to steal our food. Between him and Ludo, we managed to have a nice meal." He says proudly.

Ludo just smiles down at him, happy for the compliment.

"I'm glad you guys had fun." I smile.

"What about you Sarah, the King wasn't too hard on you was he?" Hoggle asks.

"No, he was fine. I think we are getting along better now that he is back to normal and no longer holding my brother hostage. Although, he is totally set on erasing Toby's memory when we go back home so he won't tell anyone..." I say sadly.

"Sawah... Sad?" Ludo asks, patting me on the head.

"I just don't like the thought of someone messing around with Toby's head. And besides, I don't see the point to it in the first place." I mumble.

"You's right about that," Hoggle huffs, "Ain't no use messing with a kid's mind at his age. And besides, he's too young for anyone to believe him. I'm surprised he ain't thinking about erasing' your memory. After all, you know the most."

I freeze, never once letting occur to me that Jareth could be secretly thinking of messing with my head. He has been being so nice to me... Could it be that he is secretly just letting me have my way before erasing my memory of this ever happening? 

No he wouldn't...

"You don't think..." Hoggle realizes it just as I do.

"No, I don't think he is." I say firmly.

"But if he even tries something like it I'll..."

"You'll what?" I ask.

"I'll stand up for you, Sarah, I promise." He says sadly.

"I know you will." I say with a smile.

"Ludo... help..." He says.

"Thanks, both of you. But I don't think we have anything to worry about. The King and I are on good grounds right now, and if he tries anything at least I know how to turn him back into an owl again. I'll keep my eye on him for now." I assure them.

After that we take turns dancing. Dancing with Ludo is fun and goofy at the same time. I stand on his feet and he twirls around while hugging me. I can't help but laugh and enjoy myself holding on to my big teddy bear.