Chapter 6

By midday I am at the end of my rope. I have read through countless books that the Goblins were nice enough to put in a neat pile off to the side, and there is no hope in finding any information. At one point I even asked the King if he knew any books that might have any information, but he only shrugged and continued hopping around on the table. 

A few of the Goblins have disappeared as well, and with each one leaving I get more and more worried about Toby's safety, even if he doesn't know about what is going on.

Eventually, I give up on the books, and turn to asking around for ideas with the Goblins and Hoggle. My hopes is that they can come up with some sort of strategy of what to do for the King, given how they know him better than I do.

"You should just kiss the owl, Sarah, that's how the frog turned into a prince!" Toby insists.

"I told you before, Toby, that isn't going to work. Now go sit with Ludo, and try to stay away from the Goblins." I tell him, shooing him off.

Hoggle shakes his head, and keeps his eyes on Toby as he runs off to join Ludo. "I really wish I could help ya get the little brat home, Sarah."

"We are trying our best, and that's all we can do for now. Have you spoken to any of the Goblins about turning the King back to normal? Did they give you any good ideas or know anything at all?" I ask, hopeful at good news.

"No one knows much of anything around here," He snorts, "But maybe you and me can figure this out on our own. Why don't you tell me everything you said to Jareth before he turned into an owl, and maybe we can find a loophole."

I recite the whole ending of the play from heart, still remembering it after all of these years. Maybe I leave a few things out, like what the King had promised me and what he had asked, but those things aren't important anyway.

When I finally finish the story, the parts that needed to be said anyway, Hoggle strokes his chin, thinking for a moment.

"Well from the sounds of it, it was your words that caused it. So maybe it can be your words that undo it." He suggests.

"But even if that were true, and I'm not saying it is, I wouldn't know which words to use to make him turn back. Before I was using the play words that had already been written, and they never specified that he was going to turn into an owl!" I tell him.

"Try something, I'm sure if it is you, you will find a way. You have the power of words, Sarah, and you ain't no ordinary girl." Hoggle says.

I look over at the King and think about it for a moment. What could I say that would make him turn back, if I had the power over words? I would have to mean them with all my heart, and I can't think of anything to say.

Opening my mouth, a thousand things pass through my mind, and then, with defeat, I sigh and turn away.

"I'm sorry Hoggle, but there isn't anything I can say..." I say sadly.

"Come on, Sarah, you have to know something to say." He insists.

"Last time, when I said all I did, I really meant it because I had come to believe that the book I had read would help me. Anything I say now would only be a lie, because I am really only doing this to help my friends and Toby. I don't really care about-"

In a whirl of feathers the Goblin King soars from the room, leaving us all clutching our chests from the shock. Some of the remaining Goblins chase after him, but it doesn't seem to matter, because if he wants to be alone he won't be found.

With him gone, I breath a sigh, now what the hell are we going to do about all of this? If I can't think of anything to say that I mean, and the books aren't working, what else am I left with?