Chapter 21

Chapter 21

I've been awake since 1 in the morning and never had the chance to sleep again. What I said to Wyatt yesterday has been bugging me. I basically told him that I loved him, and I really think it's too soon, too early to say the L word. Wyatt must be freaking out too. He just confessed everything to me – about his dad who passed away when he was at an early age, what prompted him to bully, and his feelings for me. I don't want to pressure him than he already is. I wanted to make him feel comfortable, but I guess I just ruined that, did I?

Groaning out loud, I turn around and hug my pillow tight, as if I'm choking it. I wish it was me being choked to death. How can I be so stupid to tell him the L word? Well, I didn't exactly say it, but I implied it. Did I really love him? Maybe.

Scratch that, I'm in love with him.

But even I know that it's too early. I mean, I get that it shouldn't really take long for someone to fall in love but everything is just happening so fast that I barely catch on. And now it's 4 in the morning and the flight is 5 am and I just had a good 3-hour sleep. I really mean what I had in mind last night. I don't want to go back to Brooklyn. Not after what I said to Wyatt. Am I overreacting? Yes. Is it okay to assume things? No. But I'm living in the spur of the moment and right now, I want to stay here. Maybe I should put in my resignation and be done with everything.

The door makes a creaking sound, and there's a soft thud on the ground. It could be my mom or dad. They know what time my flight is as I told them before I sleep. My clothes aren't packed yet, and I have no plan on doing so. They must be wondering why I'm not ready. I pretend to sleep, pulling the covers up my face. My bed dips and there's a sigh that I've heard.

"Mooooom, I don't want to go." I whine, unable to resist my mother. But I haven't lifted the covers. "I don't want to face him. I basically said I loved you to him. I'm freaking out, and he must be freaking out too."

"Take off the covers, honey." My mom says gently and I hear her snickering. "It's okay to freak out. Do you really mean it? That you loved him?"

"Noooo. I'm so embarrassed I don't want to take the covers off." As much as childish it is, I don't fucking care. Maybe if I act more like a kid, mom would let me stay and not force me to go face Wyatt. "And yes, I'm in love with him. But even I think it's too rushed, too early to say and feel it. But I do and now he's freaking out. I'm freaking out."

There's another snicker.

"Mooooooom, stop making fun of me."

"I'm not making fun of you. You don't have to be miserable."

"I deserve to be miserable right now."

"Pierce, just take the cover off, will you?" Mom, based on her tone of voice, is getting impatient with me. "And no, he's not freaking out. In fact, he's enjoying himself with the way you're acting. He's amused. You better believe me. I'm your mother."

"I wish you're not." I mumble under my breath, but it's loud enough for her to hear me. She smacks my face and it hurts. Maybe I deserve this, but she didn't need to smack my face that hard. I take off the cover to glare at my mother, but my eyes widen when my eyes meet the brown ones of the person I love. "Wyatt..."

"That's no way to treat your mother," Wyatt says as he lets out a chuckle.

"Yes, you tell him, Wyatt." My mom says as she gets out of the room, closing the room.

"How long have you been here, and how much did you hear?"

"Long enough to know that you mean it." Wyatt smiles genuinely at me, and my heart swells at the sight. It's really a sight. Here I was, overthinking that he may be freaking out just as much as I was, and here's here, proving me wrong. "If you don't want to go to Brooklyn just yet, we don't have to go. We can rebook it. We can stay here in Texas as much as you want. Work is not the priority as of the moment." Wyatt leans down and plants a kiss on my forehead, which makes me blush.