Chapter 1

"Where did we go wrong? I knew this child would be our downfall." My mother spits her speech clearly enraged by my decision.

You don't know hell until you grow up in a white supremacist household, forced to worship the Book of Mormon and live life within its restricting guidelines.

"First we lose Beckette to that negro tramp! Now, we have Michelle to worry about?" Father huffs surveying the vacant cars opposite where I remain hidden, for now. He rolls manicured shirt sleeves up his elbow, tugging his pant leg to better crouch and search under the antique vehicle.

I made the mistake of hiding under a car three years back, on the eve of Beckette's escape. My despicable brother who neglected to take me with him when he made for a new life, girlfriend and all.

I never forgave him and I doubt I ever could.

"Maybe we should call the Sheriff? You know Barney, he's up for anything she throws at him." Sheriff Barney lost two teeth the last instance we crossed paths after coping my foot to the mouth as I fought to break free. Unfortunately I hadn't succeeded back then, but this time will be different.

The champagne blonde hair of my mother bounces in tame curls matching the rotation of her head. "That little brat, Michelle!" She cups her hands extending her vocal echo.

Oblivious cyclists have to change their usual travel circuit so they don't crash into my parents who are too overcome by their irritation to respect road rules, walking wherever they please.

Eight minutes until the next bus into town and I am five blocks short of the stop, at this rate I might as well concede. Many pedestrians spare sidelong glances my way but no one bothers to interfere. As much as this infuriates me I can't blame them. I'd do the same in their shoes. 

A young couple tailed by a large group of children are approaching, ignoring the extreme rate my heart beats I slide through the gap amid a dumpster and wall immersing from the shadows.

Dirt clings onto my damp clothes but I manage to wipe the excess using my saliva, joining the family in attempt to blend in despite my vibrant lemon singlet and maroon shorts. "Where to now kids, the movies? The ice cream shop—?"

"Lolly shop! Lolly shop!" They chant in unison. Shhh!

I duck inside a thrift store wedging myself between two clothes racks as mother narrows condescending eyes on the preppy family.

Phew, too close.

I don't know how much my erratic heart can take of this situation. The unexpected touch of fur brushing against my forearm causes me to jump, knocking the coat hangers off the racks and landing in a pile of clothes.

"Hey! Get out of there, kid! What are you doin?" Damn. That got their unwanted attention. Swiping a navy hoodie to cover the surname on my Jersey I push past customers, squeezing through the ridiculously small entrance uttering small apologies. 

"Gale! There she is, call Barney!" My mother's shrill voice drills the silence like a raging jackhammer, no longer calm or controlled.

"Someone call the police, that kid stole a jacket!" The shop owner calls after me as I leave her behind. Getting caught is not an option.

I underestimate the strength of my legs as they carry me into a busy intersection, speeding cars skid to a halt blaring their horns. "Jesus Christ, you don't have right of way!" Talking like that in my house would see you locked in a room without food or water for a day.

I don't dare look backwards despite colliding with several car bonnets and denting their hoods in the process.

Sprinting down a clear path separated by bystanders on either side of the walkway they allow me passage to swing my arms further, quicker increasing speed. I can see the bus ahead, pulling up to the stop. I won't make it

Puffing heavily, adrenaline pumps my legs faster than I've ever run before wearing out the heels of my second hand sneakers. "Hang on! Hey, stop the bus!" I wave frantically unsure if the driver is aware of my calling. 

The doors revolve inward, two passengers cross each other entering and exiting the over sized vehicle. "Michelle Tristan Reed! Don't you dare ignore me!" Had I been five years younger, fathers threats might've made me cower in fear but I've spent too long under their sheltered abuse to back out now. 

I've been dreaming of this day...The day I can finally release the person I've always wanted to be, just like my brother did.

Beckette, that bastard.

The doors to my future close with a tsss and Greyhound glides from the kerb melding inside the road lane smoothly. "Hey! WAIT!" My voice cracks but to no avail watching as the Greyhound vehicle drives on without me.