Chapter 36-45

Chapter 36: Didn't She Love me?

Li Residence - Living room

Chen Meng and his wife Tan Lanfen had arrived at the Li Mansion, they were simmering with anger as they sat down gripping the handles of their tea cups.

Li Wang, Li Mei Wu, Li Yu Yan and Li Na sat quietly as they waited for the arrival of Chen Wei.

Li Wang broke the stale silence that had enveloped the room.

Li Wang: "My contact informed me that Li Xiuying was spotted working at Unity Hospital."

Chen Meng was seething, he roughly placed the teacup on the saucer: "Wang, we had a deal that Xiuying would work at our hospital. Did you not get her to sign the contract? How can she go and work at Unity hospital? Does she have no loyalty to us?!"

Li Wang was fed up of Chen Meng talking down to him: "Cheng Meng just who are you shouting at? Chen Wei was meant to get her to sign the contract; it's your son who's clearly incompetent!"

Cheng Meng: "How dare you call my son incompetent! If it wasn't for your daughter getting her claws into Wei, do you think we would be in this situation right now?!"

Li Wang stood up and pointed in Chen Meng's face: "Don't you dare say anything about my Yu Yan; it was Chen Wei who kept following her like a love sick puppy! He wouldn't leave her alone! Who asked him to always hang around her like a bad smell!!!"

How dare he blame my darling baby girl!

Li Mei Wu voice was stern: "This is not the time to be fighting among ourselves. We need to sort out this article which is jeopardizing both our children's future . If Li Xiuying is at Unity hospital we need to go and meet with her and get her to explain what's going on. She clearly hasn't been in her room since Tuesday morning. We can tell her to carry on with the engagement and work for Emerald hospital. After all she can't go against the decision of her elders."

Li Mei Wu was deeply unhappy at the comments the Chen family made about Li Yu Yan, she only decided to play nice now for the sake of resolving the issue at hand. She would note down everything today and would ensure that the Chen family were repaid.

Li Wang returned to his seat. A silence once again descended upon the room.

10 minutes had passed and a maid walked into the living room accompanied by Chen Wei.

Maid: "Mr. Chen Wei has arrived." She then rushed out of the room.

Chen Meng stood up: "Just where have you been? Your mother and I have been trying to contact you for the whole day!"

Chen Wei was hung over, his clothes where the same ones he wore the night before, he hadn't even showered. His hair was messy and he looked liked he had slept rough yesterday.

Chen Wei had gone over to his friend's house and had been drinking since his talk with Li Xiuying. He just needed to be alone with his thoughts. He always thought of Li Xiuying as a burden forced upon him by his family but now that she was gone he felt empty inside.