chapter one

1x01 — We Only See Each Other at Weddings and Funerals

PART I

"Help! Help!"

Jewel's ears perked up at the person pleading for help. The young woman looked straight ahead of her and identified the young male flailing his arms out in the ocean. She grabbed the torp that was hanging beside her and jumped off of the deck.

Once her feet hit the warm, grainy sand, Jewel pulled the whistle up to her lips and blew one long blow. Everyone turned their undivided attention towards the woman in red as she sprinted across the sand and emerged into the salty water.

With only the use of her legs, she soared through the body of water like a dolphin and reached towards the helpless victim. The boy looked no older than ten and his pudgy face was craned up so he was staring up at the clear, blue sky.

She hooked her arm around his waist and instructed him to hold on tightly onto the torpedo buoy. He did as he was told and wrapped his chubby fingers around the handles. After making sure he was secured, she began swimming back to the shore with him being tugged behind.

An eruption of applause greeted the woman as she made it back safely and helped the boy sit up straight. She held his face in her hands and examined for any physical injuries. Luckily, he shown none.

"Johnny! Oh, my baby!"

Assuming that it was his mother, she pushed through the crowd and brought him into her arms. She gave him a sloppy kiss on the forehead, causing him to scrunch his face in disgust. "Thank you, miss! Oh, thank you so much!" She cried, rubbing her son's arm soothingly. "Just doing my job, ma'am." Jewel told her.

She watched as the mother continued to pepper him with kisses much to his dismay. In Jewel's head, all she could think about was how much she wanted to be that little boy. How she wanted to be showered with her mother's love and affection. If she had another shot of having that kind of parent, she would cherish every single second of it.

Growing up, she never experienced that kind of unconditional love between a parent before. She couldn't even get that from Grace, a legitimate android her so-called "father" built to pamper her and her seven other siblings.

Jewel smiled at the two and got back up. She returned to the lifeguard tower and threw the torp to the side. "Damn, Jewels. That's fifth one today." Heath, one of the other lifeguards, commented. "That leaves..."

"Jewels with five and Heath with a numero uno!" Sasha chirped from the inside.

Jewel laughed and sat next to him. "Damn." He huffed. "Better luck next time, kid." She sang.

"Hey, for your information, you're only a couple years older than me." He said. "Gosh, when you say it, it makes me feel old." She complained.

"Yo, Jewels! You got a phone call." Sasha hollered at her.