chapter four

1x02 — Run Boy Run

1x02 — Run Boy Run

PART I

[ Seventeen Years Ago ]

"During extreme weather conditions, a climber must possess the wisdom to determine when evacuation is inevitable."

Grace jiggled the bell after she was finished setting up the table. On cue, all of the Hargreeves children scurried down the steps of the staircase and walked up to their assigned seats.

"A controlled alpine descent begins with the girding of one's loins and the anchoring of the climbing rope to one's enemy, the mountain. The Dülfersitz rappel is the preferred method for descent when rope is the only available tool, but must be regarded as a last resort."

The last person to enter the dining room was Sir Reginald Hargreeves. He ambled over to the other end of the table and pulled his chair out.

"Sit." He instructed.

"A screen anchor must be used if the rope is to be successfully retrieved from the face of the mountain. Tightly knot the ends of the rope. Once anchored, thread the doubled rope through the legs, front to back, and around the buttocks."

The children pulled out their chairs and took a seat. While they were supposed to be eating their lunch accordingly, some were too preoccupied with other things.

Two seats away from Reginald was Luther and Allison who kept stealing glances at each other. Klaus was secretly rolling himself up a cigarette he would smoke later in the day, most definitely after brunch. Ben was, not surprisingly, multi-tasking as he was reading a novel and eating his food.

"Pst..." Jewel heard Diego say. "What?" She whispered back.

He pulled his knife away from the wooden chair and motioned to its arm. She could tell it wasn't finished quite yet, but it was an engraving of the two's initials together with a plus symbol in between.

Jewel's mouth gaped opened. "Diego, you'll get in trouble!" She said worriedly. "Relax, the old man doesn't even clean the house, so he won't notice it and Mom won't snitch." He assured the young girl.

It made her less tense and a gentle smile appeared on her face. "Well, in that case...I think it's sweet, Diegs." She complimented.

Diego shot her a cheeky smile and continued carving his work. He felt very proud of himself for being the cause for her smile and didn't bother with the delicious food in front of him.