Chapter 6

In the morning, I wake up sweating. I run my hands through my hair and slowly rise out of bed. Suddenly an idea hits me and I leap to get clothes and get ready for the choosing ceremony. This might get me killed, but I don't care. As long as I get my point across.

I walk towards the choosing ceremony, my bright green eyes gleaming with anticipation. I sit down next to my mom and my sister. My mom looks at me with a sadness in her eyes. "I know you won't be coming home tonight." I gasp. "What?" "Honey, I knew it from the moment you came home that day. Don't tell anyone your results." She winks. I almost start to cry. Finally it is my turn. I walk slowly to the stage, and suddenly I am nervous. I start to sweat. I take the knife and cut deep. My hand immediately starts to bleed. It bleeds a lot and my hand hurts. Finally I have enough blood for what I am going to do, and I drop a little bit into each bowl. I have chosen all 5 factions. The crowd lets out a collective gasp and an elderly woman screams. Security cards grasp my arms so hard it hurts and knock me to the ground. A polished figure walks in, and I recognize her as Maria Andrews, an erudite leader. "We have a rebel here." She says. "Now honey, it's obvious you didn't mean to choose all 5 factions, right? Someone told you to, maybe your mother." She says this in a low hiss. No matter what they do to me, I will not let them hurt my mom. Never. "No." I say, my voice strong and clear. "This was my decision. She didn't even know about it."