Chapter 13

Three Weeks Later

Addison's POV

I shove a few bobby pins in my hair and sigh. The endless sick feeling in my stomach continues to make itself known. I feel the weight of the world on my shoulders. My eyes are swollen, but no longer red. It stings to close them, but Lord knows I need to sleep. I finish off the bun on my head with some hairspray and turn to my closet. I grab a teal blouse and a pencil skirt to match my black ballet flats.

Today is the day of the trial. The day I've been dreading because of the fact that I have to face my biggest fear. Him.

The guy that gave my siblings back to my mom, only to stalk me, crash into me and then kidnap me. The guy that is conceded enough to pay a doctor to hide his secret of my head injury and trick my memory into another life; another name. A man-- wait, no. He's not a man. An animal cruel enough ruin everything. He raped me. He is the reason why it took me over a month to vaguely remember my childhood. He is the cause of my pain and the haunting memories I will forever have. He is my burden.

But it all ends today. He can no longer hurt me. He can't claim another victim. It'll all be over. The media will leave me alone after I make my statement after sentencing. My family will be fixed. My relationship with Aiden with lose it's tension. I can be seen in public without being mobbed.

I slip my ballet flats on and make last minute adjustments to my outfit. Breath. I walk down the stairs and see everyone there. My mom, Emma, Matt, Jana with Hadley, Aiden and his mom, and my lawyer, Mr. Stowe. As I reach the last step, my mom breaks the deadly silence. "You look beautiful." She smiles.

"Yeah, for all the wrong reasons. Lets just get this over with so I can get my life back on track." I sigh, hoping that my life could be normal again.

"I agree," Mr. Stowe cuts in. "We're going to be late if we don't leave now." He exits out the front door to where the police are holding reporters back. We all follow like a bunch of ducklings would follow their mother. Once in the van, everyone awkwardly awaits our arrival at the courthouse.

More cops are waiting for us when we get there. They escort us into the courthouse as we all hide our faces. It's not even worth hiding anymore, they know what all of us look like. We enter and with every step towards the court room, the pit in my stomach grows. Aiden senses my discomfort and wraps an arm around me. It helps ease me, but nothing will feel better than when he is behind bars.

We enter the room and my lawyer shakes hands with Officer McComez. They guide my family to the front bench, but I am pulled to the desk with the two professionals. They start organizing their evidence and wait for everyone to arrive.

I hear the door open and turn my attention. He enters. My breathing hitches and I freeze. All of a sudden, I feel an arm wrap around me and I turn to see Aiden. "Addison, breath. It's all okay." He gives me one last hug and kisses my forehead. I nod as he walks back to his seat. Another door opens at the front of the room and the judge enters. We all rise and wait for her to take her seat so we can be seated. "Let the trial of Addison Zands and State versus Ryan Zands begin."

~~~

"I would like to call Addison Zands to the witness stand." The lawyer says after wrapping up his accusations. I look behind me at my mom and Aiden and get two reassuring smile. I take a deep breath and approach the officer with the Bible. After saying 'I do' to saying the truth, I am guided to the witness stand. "Okay, Addison, is it alright if I call you by that?" Mr. Stowe asks.

"Yes, please do." I reply. It's better than Miss Zands, it makes me feel old when people call me that.

"How is your memory, Addison?"