Chapter 2

Natasha's POV:

Finally, a doctor steps out of Bruce's room. I check the monitor tracking his heart rate. Thankfully, everything seems to be okay.

"What was wrong?" I ask quietly.

"Dr. Banner responded negatively to something that we have yet to pinpoint," he says while shifting his gaze between Tony and Steve. "Luckily, he was saved by you," the man pauses and looks at me. "If we had found him naturally, he most likely would not have made it. To prevent another accident, I will personally be watching what Dr. Banner is brought in contact with."

I flash him a small smile and sit down a few chairs away from Pepper, who is asleep. My mind is racing. Is what Tony said about Bruce true? Would Bruce really do that to himself for me? Why do I not feel the need to be by his side constantly? Maybe I do.

After half an hour of pondering, I feel a headache start to form. I quietly curse myself and close my eyes. One thing I know for certain is Bruce is stuck in the medbay because of my choices.

I feel a strong force pulling on my eyelids. I force them open knowing I shouldn't fall asleep. Never again, will I fall asleep without knowing Bruce will be okay.

I stand and walk to the window hoping to wake me up. Unfortunately, it only makes matters worse. Seeing Bruce still and calm comforts me. This sight makes me want to curl up beside him and sleep beside him. As if my body has a mind of its own, I find myself doing what I want. I carefully scooch Bruce to a side of the bed giving him most of the space. I don't want to push him off. I crawl under the sheets and ball up next to him. Without fault, I am fast asleep reliving the disaster.

I wake up to someone trying to be quiet. I reach under the pillow for my gun and panic when it isn't there. The unidentified stranger notices the sudden movement.

"Morning, Miss. Romanoff."

I look around and realize I'm still in the medbay. I feel something twitch beside me. I immediately react and find one of Bruce's fingers moving up and down. Our fingers are intertwined and slowly separating due to my movement.

I go back to reality when I hear the doctor's shuffling feet.

"I'm sorry," I grumble. I start to stand, but surprisingly he stops me.

I look at him confused.

"You're helping him. You don't move in your sleep-"

I interrupt, "How do you know I don't move?"

He smiles, "It isn't the first time I have walked in on you sleeping in here. Anyways, typically Dr. Banner doesn't either. But last night, he took your hand."

I look back at our hands. Is finger is still rubbing against my hand almost begging for our hands to meet one more time. I lock our fingers together more tightly.

"Stay as long as you'd like, Miss. Romanoff. You can even stay until he wakes up." He grins and gathers his papers before walking out the door closing it behind him.

Tony's POV:

After last night, Pepper and I decided we should probably stay at the facility. I wake up around 9:00 am knowing I only slept this late because I fell asleep around 1:30. Pepper is still silent beside me. I kiss her forehead and make my way to the kitchen.

I guess Clint and Steve decided to stay too. They are both talking while filling their mouths with what looks like Fruit Loops.

"Morning fellas," I say as I rub my head hopelessly trying to tame my hair.

Steve is the first to respond. "How'd you sleep?"

"Alright." I fix myself a bowl of cereal too.