Chapter 16

Probably one of my last parts of this story. I hope y'all like it. Also, thank you for all the support and love I've gotten from the past few chapters!! <3 <3 <3

Bruce's POV:

As we walk to the living room, I decide to ask Nat what she thinks about why Fury shut down the facility.

"I don't know. Maybe he thought Stark was going to accidentally release the address to the public."

I take my glasses off and put them in my pocket. "So you don't think there is going to be any type of attack?" I ask hesitantly.

She stops and grabs my hands stopping me too. "Bruce, even if there was going to be a type of attack, we can handle ourselves and this building is a fortress. We're safe."

I just nod.

"But that's not why you asked, is it?"

I shake my head. "I don't know. I guess... I-I guess I'm just scared that I might... you know."

"I thought we talked about this. There are too many people in this world who want and could do more harm to me than you or The Hulk could ever do."

I shake my head again and we continue to walk to the living room.

We sit down on the couch and turn on the TV. Nat wants to watch a comedy so we find The Office and Parks and Rec. We debate on which one is better. I'm in favor of Parks and Rec but Nat likes The Office more. I give in and the catchy theme song turns on. We curl up together and Tasha covers us with a blanket that was on the side of the couch.

Some time through the fifth episode, the power goes off.

"Jarvis?"

"Yes, Dr. Banner?"

"Why is the power off?"

"I was instructed to report any people in the facility. I told Director Fury about your presence and he has instructed me to keep the power off."

"Thank you, Jarvis."

I hear Natasha rustle under the blanket, searching for something. Soon I see the glowing screen of her phone.

"I'm calling him."

I nod and let her dial his number.

"What the hell, Fury?!"

"Yes, Agent Romanoff?"

"What was the purpose of turning the power off?! Now we are sitting here in the dark!"

"There is no need to waste money on television. Go play cards with candles."

"Is this some kind of prank? Did Clint give you money to do this?"

All Fury does is chuckle and hang up.

Natasha tosses her phone on the ground and groans. I feel her tense up beside me.

"It's fine. We can talk, sleep, we can leave too. We could just go to the tower if you want."

She shakes her head and moves closer to me. "I want to stay here just so we can piss him off. He doesn't think we'll stay."

"Okay. So what do you want to do?"

She shrugs. She still seems tense so I readjust quick enough to keep her from stopping me.

"Bruce, what are you doing?"

I smile as I stare into her eyes. I'm now on my side with my back against the couch. Natasha is facing me, our noses are less than an inch away. I kiss her nose and lean my forehead against hers.

"Stop Bruce. You're making me un-mad. I can't keep a grudge if you keep doing this."

I just laugh a little.

"It's not funny," she laughs.

I pull her closer and she wraps her arms around me like a hug. I close my eyes and feel the same feeling I had when we were on the phone wash over me.

"Natasha?"

Natasha's POV:

I feel something about Bruce change but I can't put my finger on it.

"Natasha?"

Bruce's voice is the quietest I've ever heard it. The only reason I could hear it was because we are so close. I feel his breath brush against my neck. It's shaky and uneven.

I grow concerned. "Are you okay, Bruce?"

"I-I don't know." He responds just as quietly as he had called my name.

I know he doesn't mean he doesn't feel well. Bruce would've ignored that. Something is wrong and it's big enough for him to be worried about himself.

A long silence washes over us and no one speaks. It's comfortable but also filled with anxiety.

It's broken when Bruce pulls me as close as physically possible. I wrap my arms tight around his body attempting to make him feel safe. That's it! He feels vulnerable. As soon as I name the odd sensation that had washed over Bruce, I start to feel it too. I tighten my grip around Bruce as if I let go, I'd lose him forever.

"Please don't let go," we both ask simultaneously.

Silence washes over us again. Until I break it. "Bruce, just so you know... I'm glad you are the way you are. Nothing is wrong with you. And I'm sorry that I haven't opened up to you."

Silence.

I feel obligated to continue, so I do. I continue letting him in. I tell him about everything, the Red Room, my past, and every right and wrong I have ever made. I continue until I'm in tears. Tears that haven't left my eyes for years and years. Soon the only thing I'm doing is crying. I feel Bruce tighten his grasp around me. His hand runs up and down back, soothing me.

"It's okay, Natasha," is quietly repeated in my ear until I fall asleep.

I wake up in a slightly different position. Instead of facing Bruce I'm curled up, almost laying on top of him, with my face in his shirt. I am clinging onto a fistful of his clothes too. I lift my face from his chest and feel his shirt stick to my cheek. I peel it off only to feel like half my face was in the ocean. My cheek is dry due to the salt my tears produced.

I lean back down onto Bruce and bury my nose in his shirt. I breathe in his distinct smell and immediately wrap my arms around his waist, keeping me close.

Of course, this wakes him up, but neither of us moves. Bruce just rubs my back and smooths down my hair until he asks, "How are you?"

At first, I'm confused by the question until memories of last night flood my mind. I remember sobbing into his shoulder then fighting nightmares in my sleep because of the conversation we had before I fell asleep.

I give him a jumbled mix of yes and no.

All he does is return to the position we were in when I fell asleep. It's still completely black inside so I only see the faint outline of his shoulder grow closer as he pulls me into a tight embrace.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

PLEASE READ: I'm going to Universal in Florida tomorrow, so hopefully, I can write another chapter before 9:00 AM tomorrow. I'll either post it tonight or tomorrow morning as a replacement for the one I usually post on the weekend. Either that or I'll just upload it from my phone.

Either way, there will be another chapter this week, it might just be posted very early!

Hope y'all's spring is goin' well! Bye!