Chapter 4

Bruce's POV:

According to Natasha, I didn't miss much. I haven't really seen anyone else other than her so I only know what she has been doing.

"... so really we haven't done anything," Natasha finishes.

"You've done a lot actually," my voice cracks and I think I see Nat wince. "I'm awake aren't I?"

She nods then shakes her head.

"What? Is something wrong? If you let me, I'll get out of this bed and try my hardest to help you if you need something."

She glares at me for a few seconds before her stare softens. "I thought you were supposed to be smart, Dr. Banner," she jokes. "There is no way you are ever going to get out of that bed with me here."

"Well then at least tell me what was bothering you."
She looks down at our intertwined fingers and shrugs. "I feel weird. I feel like you were never gone and the things I remember were only dreams. It makes me feel worse. It makes me feel like I wasn't here enough or like I didn't care."

"Why would you ever think that? How could you ever think that? Tony tells me you were here once or twice a day. Sometimes three in a row."

She looks back up and nods. "You sound better. I'd keep drinking water and soon I can help you on your feet."

I pause a second determining if I should return to the topic at hand. I decide not to push. I nod. "Could you go get me some water? I'd really like to leave this bed."

Immediately, Nat lets go of my hand and leaves to get me some water. I feel like an awful person but I've been sitting in this bed for a week. It's time to get up. I sit up, which isn't that difficult mainly because I've been practicing. Next, I swing my stiff legs over the side of the bed. In return for my sudden movement, my body repays me with a sharp pain. I squeeze the side of the bed until I hear distant footsteps.

"Damnit," I mumble. "She's so fast."

I ignore the pain and push myself forward until I'm on my feet leaning on the wall.

I feel a large smile spread across my face until I look at the door.

Natasha's POV:

"Bruce! What the hell are you thinking?!"

His grin fades. "Sorry?"

I mumble a few swears under my breath as I place the water bottle on the table. "Get back in bed, idiot."

"Why? I'm already up. Can't you just walk me to see Tony? I know he is living here. If you say no, then you can take me to my lab or the kitchen, even the living room. I'll even take the elevator. Just for you."

"Bruce, no. First, I wouldn't take you to your lab. It's full of glass. Second, Tony moved out yesterday. Finally, there is no way you will ever take the stairs in the next month while I'm here."

"My father killed my mom," I blurt out.

"I didn't know my parents," she retorts.

"My dad was trying to kill me."

"I was raised in an environment that encouraged me to push myself as far as I could or I died."

"When I was little my dad abused me for being able to put together genetic puzzles highscho-." Bruce is soon interrupted by a loud cough.

"What the hell is going on here? If you are trying to guilt trip each other into giving in, Bruce'll win."

I turn my head to Stark. "Tony, I was going to win! Bruce isn't an assassin. I have stories Bucky couldn't even handle."

Tony turns his head to Bruce. "She was going to win."

Bruce shrugs and his eyes meet mine. A huge smile spreads across his face; it isn't the good kind.

Before I can react, Bruce is hobbling over to Tony about to embrace him in a hug.

"Banner what are you-!" Tony is stopped when Bruce trips over his feet.

"Shiiiiiii- Bruce?!" Tony questions.

Bruce rolls over on his back and grumbles, "Ow."

I'm on my knees beside him. "You have seven PhDs yet you can't tell what a stupid idea that was."

He sits up with my help. "To be fair, I also helped Tony make a killer robot."

Tony helps me lift Bruce back onto his feet. "Ouch. Maybe I should just drop you again."

"What?! It's true, Stark." Bruce looks over his shoulder and to Tony.

Tony rolls his eyes in response.

A small giggle escapes my mouth at Bruce's facial expression. He looks genuinely hurt by Tony.

"Get back in that bed, Dr. Banner," I order.

He obeys and gets back on the small bed.

"I came to see how y'all were doing. I guess you guys are alright. Pep and I have a dinner date, I've gotta get going."

Bruce waves and I say bye.

After Tony leaves, Bruce and I talk some more about Ultron. Mainly the things we can laugh about. Neither of us is willing to reopen the wounds that never really healed because they didn't have time. Our conversation lasts a little longer than expected. Soon Bruce is asleep on the bed while holding my hand. I decide he looks cold, so I climb into the bed beside him. Surprisingly he isn't. I knew he wasn't but I didn't want to pass up the opportunity.

I close my eyes and feel Bruce roll over from his back to his side. I feel his breath tickle my neck and ear. I fall asleep knowing everything will be alright.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

I know this is a short part and I didn't post anything for 2 or 3 weeks. I'm sorry it's so short, but I wanted to put something up for y'all to read. Thanks for waiting. I also reread it all and realized there are a ton of grammar and spelling mistakes. PLEASE POINT my ERRORS out, I'd appreciate it. I want to know what to work on when improving my writing for y'all. I'll try to make the next part the average length. Thanks again. Hope you enjoy.