Chapter 12

Posting a little earlier than usual because I finished early. Hope you enjoy :)

Bruce's POV:

After I hang up, I finish fixing up the busted radio. I place it on the kitchen counter and turn the dials. Static is the first thing I hear but thankfully my hard work wasn't for nothing.

A station that seems to only be playing hits from the 1940s comes on. I don't want to risk screwing it up again, so I leave it.

"I like the 1940s. I mean, there weren't many technological advancements, but that's fine. The music is fine." I sigh and shake my head. Now what?

Later, I fix a small lunch and continue to listen to lots of Bing Crosby. I get very bored after my meal and walk around the house. I find a small library, half ransacked and empty, but it'll have to do. I brush the dust of the desk and seat and place the walkie-talkie next to the lamp. I browse the shelves looking for anything interesting.

I place my glasses on my nose and grab a book. I smile. "Here we are, A Brief History of Time. What a great quick read. This'll do."

I sit down and start to enjoy some of Stephen Hawking's work.

Two or three hours pass and I've come close to finishing the great piece of literature. Unfortunately, I start to hear a faint beeping. I look up to hear the sound emanating from the walkie-talkie.

"Great," I groan.

"Hawk to Horse, who's there?"

I assume I'm Horse when I remember an empty, small stable that most likely belonged to a horse when I was heading to the shack. So who is Hawk?

I pick up the walkie-talkie and press down the side button. "Who is this?" I question.

"I'm someone who knows that you are in the northwest corner of the first floor. There are two windows and a door that leads to the middle of the building."

"That's not creepy at all. So you know where I am. Where are you?"
Silence.

I roll my eyes and turn down the walkie-talkie. I roll my eyes and continue to read my book. If whoever Hawk is, hasn't killed me yet, he won't do it until he gets his answer.

I hear the front door burst open, and I don't have any weapons near or on me, so I stay put. I sigh and count how many pages I have left.

"Can you give me five minutes? I have 10 pages left."

"Bruce?!"

I look up to see Clint slowly lowering his bow and arrow.

I smile, "Howdy, Hawk."

Barton rolls his eyes.

I look back to my book and keep reading.

"If you can do me a favor, and not tell anyone I'm here, that'd be greatly appreciated. Anyways, I'm flattered you came this far just to see me," I joke.

"Bruce, I thought you were a threat. The only people who know about this house are people from S.H.I.E.L.D., and S.H.I.E.L.D. fell to HYDRA."

"The Avengers are a part of S.H.I.E.L.D.," I counter.

Clint changes the subject, "So why are you here."

"I don't think I care to answer that. You might be HYDRA," I tease.

"Bruce-."

I close my book. "Have you ever read this? It's actually pretty great for beginners."

"Why would I read," he pauses to read the title, "A Brief History of Time?"

I shrug and stand to put the book back where I found it.

Natasha's POV:

"Bruce. You can't read stuff like that!"
"Why?" He looks up. I look into his eyes and catch pain and anger swim around. He catches on and puts up his wall to stop me from reading him.

"Stop, I'm not some villain you need to read. I deserve some privacy."

I'm brought back to reality by Tony's smacking.

"Can you not?" I ask.

Tony shrugs and closes his mouth. "Sorry, you seemed a little lost so I decided to bring you back. You know all this pizza isn't just for me." He motions to the boxes of New York style pizza.

"I'm not that hungry."

"Since when? You're always eating, except when you're worried. So what's got you nervous?"

I shrug.

Tony glares at me and takes another bite of pizza.

"It's the Big Guy isn't it?" He questions.

"You know he doesn't like being called that."

Tony shrugs. "He isn't here to hear it."

I'm too distracted to bicker.

"So," Tony continues, "what's wrong?"

"I don't want to lose him again. It's not like he is in a coma. He could be anywhere." I answer quietly.

"He said he was nearby," Tony tries to reassure me.

"That was three and a half hours ago, Stark."

He shrugs and points to the pizza. "Are you really not going to have any of that?"

I shake my head.

"Alright, Imma hand it off to Rodgers." He gathers the boxes and carries them away.

I sigh and lean back in the chair. What am I supposed to do?

As if Clint could read my thoughts from miles away, I get a call from him.

"What's up, Barton?"

"Tash, I've got Bruce. Hurry up."

He hangs up too quick for me to respond.

I grab a jacket, car keys, and a water bottle for the drive. I get in my car and drive to the Bartons'.

Only an hour away from Clint's farm, I notice Clint's pick-up truck parked on the side of the road. I look up the road and notice a small gravel path leading into an open-ish field/forest.

I park my car next to Clint's and start my journey down the path.

After five minutes of jogging, I reach a banged up, two-story cottage. The paint is peeling, revealing the top part of the S.H.I.E.L.D. logo. I immediately take out my gun and cautiously enter the cottage.

I hear quiet chatter in what is probably the kitchen or living room. I turn the corner to see Clint shot his hands up and Bruce duck behind the couch.

"What the hell, Natasha?!"

"Sorry, I saw the S.H.I.E.L.D. logo," I place my gun back in my boot.

Bruce slowly stands up and looks from me to Clint. He swats Clint's arm and heads for the kitchen.

I turn to Barton.

He sighs, "Bruce told me not to call you."

"Oh," I nod. This'll be fun.

Both of us follow Bruce into the kitchen.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=