Chapter 16: Gaydar

"Remind me why I'm here?" Seth asks. Despite his rotten attitude, I drag him in from the bite of the winter, evening air and he closes the door behind himself.

"I already told you," I hiss into his ear, slowing slightly as we near the kitchen, "she just wouldn't take no for an answer."

When we finally reach the source of the mouth-watering smell that drifts through the house, Alice stands there, oven gloves in hand and just pulling a tray from the heat. The door crashes as she kicks it closed and another tray is set with the others with a clatter on top of the hob. She runs a hand over her forehead to catch any sweat and I usher Seth further into the room. Once again he's brought me tulips and I pluck them from his grip, finally taking the time to remove the long-since-dead ones he'd gifted me the evening of our first date and replace them.

Alice rushes around, stirring pots and pans and after minutes of us loitering awkwardly, her eyes flit to Seth and her lips twitch into a nervous smile. "You must be Seth." She offers her floury hand and he takes it gracefully, acting the role of perfect-gentleman to precision. "Brett's told me all about you. Always Seth this, Seth that."

I send a glare her way. A warning. But she just chuckles.

"Does he now?" Seth turns to me, eyebrow raised in question and a smirk to his lips.

I huff out a breath. "Don't flatter yourself."

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Alice." He returns the gesture with the most charming smile he can muster. Anyone would fall to their knees for him just to see that smile. Myself included. She seems immune to the spell though, only nodding and then hastily darting away with a string of curses when a timer goes off, beep beep beeping.

Seth glances to me for reassurance and I peck him on the cheek, telling him it went well. I feel a little pang in my heart though. I remember when Alice and Chloe met for the first time. They were like two peas in a pod, instantly hitting things off with likeminded gossip and a glass of wine. It's going to be difficult for Seth to live up to, especially considering that I never told Alice why I ended things with Chloe. No one needs to know that their brother's girlfriend — their friend — was caught with her red-tinted lips wrapped around another guy's cock and his fingers shoved up her pussy as she moaned around him. No one.

When we offer to help her with things, she waves us off.

I grumble and lead Seth away into the living room, wanting some alone time. We spend it kissing and talking. Mostly kissing. And at one point I leave to go and fetch us some drinks. Feeling very dinner-party-esque, I fill two glasses of prosecco before settling back down next to him on the couch.

It's just the two of us and her tonight. Apparently, she had invited Lewis, him under the impression that tonight would be a double date and not a dinner designed so that Seth could be thoroughly grilled by my frankly barbaric sister. Either way, he's busy working so that means I won't be getting my share of the fun.

When Alice finally announces that dinner is ready — because she didn't trust me to make anything suitable for the occasion — we find our way back into the kitchen and seat ourselves at the table. The food looks glorious — a full on roast dinner — and it has my mouth watering at the sight. One thing no one can ever warn you about enough before you leave home is to the extent you'll miss coming home from school to a warm meal on the table. In our family, my dad was the cook. His father was a chef and so he was raised around beautiful food, it was somewhat passed on to Alice, but I was completely hopeless. I can make a mean mac and cheese but thereabouts lies the extent of my capability. Due to this, we end up having mac and cheese a lot. With Alice working the days and me working the nights, I tend to cook, eat, and then wrap up the leftovers for her to dig into later. So a roast dinner like this. It's a godsend. One of those once in a blue moon meals that bring flooding memories of Sunday roasts from your childhood.

Alice looks at Seth questioningly, before turning her gaze to me. Silently, she asks, does he say grace? I'm sure it only crosses her mind because Chloe used to make us say grace with her. We're not the religious type though, and neither is Seth, so I shake my head subtly and we pick up our cutlery.

"So, Seth," Alice begins and I gulp down the remainders of my prosecco, knowing this is only the start of what promises to be a long and brutal meal, "How old are you?"

"Twenty-eight."

I can almost see Alice making the mental note. Five years isn't too great of an age gap though.

"How many long-term relationships have you been in?" She asks.

"Before Brett. None."

I raise an eyebrow. We've managed to steer clear of the 'ex's conversation' up until now. But with everything he's got going for him, I'd figured he would've been able to keep a guy around.

Unless he was more of a fuck 'em and leave 'em kind of man?

"And you're one-hundred per cent gay? Or would you ever be with a woman?"

+ + +

"I am so sorry."

He smirks, glancing to me out of the corner of his eye as I gently close my bedroom door behind us. "How gay would you have pegged me as?"

"Quite." I smile, shaking my head.

"Maybe there is some way you could make it up to me?"

He takes a seat on the end of my bed and his eyes glide over my body in a hungry haze. A look I've come to recognise as his bedroom eyes. He wants to get laid. Ergo, I take my time as I stroll over to him. However, his hands are on me before I can tease him any longer. Arms slip around my waist and he draws me between his legs.

"So impatient," I tut.

"Quiet, before I find something to put in that pretty mouth of yours."

Heat flushes over my body in a wave. Seth's digits reach up to grip my jaw and he aligns our lips so that I can feel his breaths, hot and heavy, in puffs against my skin. When he finally closes the minuscule gap between us, I cup his cheek in my own hand. Lust seeps from the both of us, entirely consuming me, but he contains it so beautifully. At first, I thought he was just doing it for my benefit, not completely letting go in case he accidentally hurt me, but I've come to realise that for him, holding onto that last bit of control is the appeal. He likes to know where his head is. At all times.

"Knees," he whispers against me. I drop instantly and see the pure adoration in his features as he looks down at me.

I run delicate fingers over the bulge in his jeans, he groans so I take the initiative, unbuckling, unbuttoning and unzipping. Then, I tug down just enough so that I can take his hard cock in my hand. I flick my thumb over the tip, already feeling some precum there before cleaning it away with a swipe of my tongue. I start on a handjob, slow pumps mixed with more precum for lubricant, though just as I'm considering taking him into my mouth, he stands. His fingers run through my hair tenderly before gripping at the crown of my head. A light pull has me rising to my feet as he smashes our lips back together, all the while kicking his jeans hanging at his thighs the rest of the way down. Once they're discarded, his arms snake down to my thighs and he lifts me, only to then discard me onto my sheets.

It's a squeeze as he climbs over me, the small bed not having been designed for two fully grown men. His lips leave mine for a second and he leaves a trail of nips down to my neck. Within seconds of embarking on the quest of undressing me, he has my shirt and trousers both off and on the floor.

"Will Alice be able to hear us?" He asks, a last minute thought.

"The house is old, thicker walls in those days."

I'm eager to pull him back towards me, so desperate to have him. He's made bottoming like a drug to me. Moments upon moments of pleasure all strung together, I can get lost in the maze and have no worries because I know Seth'll be there to help me find my way back at the end of it all.

"Good."

He leans down, engulfing me in his frame.