2.2

A.N.: Forgot if I included any dates in previous chapters, I checked and didn't see any but I might've skipped it so forgive any date errors. Also, I have never done jury duty or anything so I'm totally writing this off of research I did. 

-

A man wearing a police uniform rose, his bald head shining under the many lights in the courtroom. His lips were in a line, as he seemed like a robot. "All rise," He stated, the people in the courtroom rising on command. Ashton's hazel eyes looked at Luke from across the room who had risen as well. "Court is now in session. Judge Collins presiding. Please be seated." As soon as they had stood, they were seated. The old woman speaking confidently, making everyone seemingly forget her age. 

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. Calling the case of the People of Apollo Bay versus Ashton Irwin and Calum Hood. Are all sides ready?" She stated. The district attorney standing with an agitated expression. He wore an expensive suit similar to Ashton's lawyer and had combed back black hair. Stone cold dark eyes which Ashton could only assume were brown, but seeing how harsh the man was they might as well be black. 

"Ready for the People, Your Honor," He spoke his voice smooth, intimidating. He was representing too many murdered people to count, Ashton was sure he would be passionate throughout the preceding.

Mr. Berk rose, he had been looking at his Rolex rather than the district attorney and his attitude towards the intense attorney showed some sort of beef between the two. The punk wasn't sure if he cared to know about what it could possibly be, probably over who could have the nicest things. "Ready for the defense, Your Honor."

Calum stood, and Ashton couldn't but help but think of how stupid the man must think he is right now. Representing yourself in court, it was something you simply didn't do for something as serious as this. When it comes to getting life in prison in compare to being free, Ashton would take a public defender any day of the week. "Ready for the defense, Your Honor." 

The clerk demanded the sea of jurors to stand and had them swear to be fair, and return a true verdict. The sat down, silently watching what was to happen next, as Ashton observed each of them from afar, making it subtle however for he didn't want any of them to think he was creepy.

Mr. Intense stood up,  facing the jury with confidence which radiated in waves and made Ashton sick to his stomach. "Your Honor, the defendants have been charged with the crimes of murder first degree on six victims, kidnapping, and torture. The evidence will show that on the night Michael Clifford was found brutally murdered inside his apartment on August 2, 2019. Michael's roommate, the defendant Ashton Irwin's DNA was found at the crime scene. Later on the date of August 27, 2019, witness, Luke Hemmings was found along with the defendant Ashton Irwin tortured and kidnapped in the home of the second defendant Calum Hood. It was there where it was discovered that the second defendant Calum Hood had been withholding evidence from the police that he knew Michael Clifford and had been having an affair with him. His brutal torture tactics caused witness Luke Hemmings to go into a short coma. The evidence I present will allow the jury to decide on which defendant shall be charged for the six murders, as well as if the second defendant shall be charged for kidnapping and torture." 

From afar, Calum was whispering under his breath, this Ashton could tell due to seeing his lips moving. Sadly, he had never been able to read lips very well and was left in the dark of what he could possibly be saying. Luke had a frown on his face listening to the opening statement of the district attorney, tears welled up in his pretty blue eyes as he had to recall what his former best friend had done to him. 

Mr. Berk stood, "Your Honor and ladies and gentlemen of the jury: the defendant Ashton Irwin has been charged with the crime of first-degree murders on the six victims. Under the law, the client is presumed innocent until proven guilty. During this trial, you will come to learn that Ashton did not commit murder against any of these victims and that his DNA was found at the scene due to him living there. There is no other evidence to criminalize my client. Therefore, my client is not guilty." He sat back down, whispering in Ashton's ear, "Don't worry we got this, that shit head can eat ass." He muttered, referencing Mr. Intense. Clearly whatever the two law school graduates had, was not a relationship he intended to know any more than what he could with his eyes at the moment.