⭐️ Chapter 10 ~ Memories

Chapter 10 ~ Memories

Smothering, the fire zipped through the walls, surrounding me, choking me. No matter where I turned, the embers were there to block my path. The intense walls of heat loomed closer and closer, like a pack on hungry wolves after its prey. From amongst the swirls of red and gold, a muffled voice screamed my name "Alex!"

It was...it was Jessie?

The fire seemed to part as his strong figure erupted from the flames, but he wasn't looking at me...well he was, but his gaze was laced in confusion.

"Who are you?" His eyes wide in bewilderment. He didn't recognize me?

"It's me, Alex!" My voice seemed so small compared to the roaring flames encasing me in this burning inferno.

"No you're not." And with that, he left. My own turmoil was sort lived as I felt the brown tendrils of my hair fan my face.

"Jessie! No! It's me," I pleaded, "it's me!" but he wasn't coming back. He wasn't supposed to find out, not like this. I barely felt the flames sear my skin over the pain of losing my closest friend.

*~*~*

I shot up in my bed. My hand instinctively went to my chest to try and sooth my rapidely beating heart. Sweat clung to me like a second skin. It's been six years since the incident and the nightmares still haven't ceased.

I knew I was never going to fall back asleep. I never did. So I decided to go take a quick shower instead.

I got out of my bed and strode over to my bathroom, grabbing some clothes in the process.

I turned on the water, stripped off my clothes and hopped into the shower. My muscles relaxed a bit as the warm water trickled down my body.

After my shower, I slipped on my old hoodie. I was surprised the thing still fit. I went over to my window sill, I made myself comfortable on the numerous cushions as I leaned against the all. I hugged one of the velvet cushions to my chest as I watched the rain gently tap against my window .Just like the day I ran away. The memories stung.. I shivered and huddled closer in my hoodie, not wanting to think of the flames, the pain, the confusion, the fear....

I rummaged for my little trinket from under my clothes. My little star shaped carving hung off the end of the silvery chain, the corners slightly blackened from the fire. We're survivors...I sighed inwardly and took out my phone.

Hey, you awake yet? -A

I texted James. I doubt he would reply this early in the morning. The sun had only just barely peaked over the roof tops staining the sky in a pink hue. I glanced at the clock, 6:15.

A second later, my phone beeped indicating James' response.

Nightmare again?-James

Yea. -A

Same. -James

James knew. He knew what it felt like. We both had nightmares about that devastating day. It was a constant reminder of how we cowardly ran away. He knew exactly how I felt because he was feeling the same way.

A lot had happened in the past 6 years but the memories still felt fresh.

I kept running. I wouldn't stop. The confusion on Jessie's face scared me. It stained my memory like mud on a white shirt.

I felt the rain starting to fall slowly, pattering along with my footsteps as they slammed along the pavement. Just this morning it had been a bright and sunny day. I was laughing and having fun with everyone. Why did it have to end?