Chapter 8: tris

School goes by in a blur, and all I can think about is how hostile Mr. Eaton was. When the bell rings I slowly get out of my seat and walk out of the school, trying to look as normal as possible. when I get to Tobias's house I knock but no one answers. I knock again, nothing happens. I push on the door but it is closed. People are giving me suspicious looks. "Just a school assignment!" I say to no one in particular. When the people walk away, I try the door knob. Unlocked. I quickly step inside the house so no one sees me. When I get in the house I close the door. I should be fine because Mr. Eaton is at work. "Tobias!" I yell "Tobias!" No response. I work my way around the first floor, and no ones there. I run up the stairs, and look in all three rooms. finally in the last room I look in, I see a slumped figure on the bed. "Tobias?" I ask. all I get is a groan in response. I go over to him and lightly shake him. He groans even louder. I stroke his cheek to wake him up. When he does wake up, he turns his face towards me. I gasp. covering his left cheekbone is a huge black and purple bruise. There is another bruise covering his jaw. "Tobias, what happened?" I ask shocked. "Tris? Is that you?" He opens his eyes. "Tris you can't be here." He says his eyes searching frantically around the room. "My fath-" "Your dad isn't home. What happened to you?" "He found out about us and he got angry." My eyes go wide. "He did this to you?" "Tris I love you, but you have to go! He could be back any second!" "I'm not leaving." he starts to respond but I kiss him. My hands slide into his hair, and he pulls me onto his lap. He puts his hands on my hips. I slide my hands down from his head to his chest, and then to his rib cage, and he screams. "Tobias! What's wrong!" I cry. "My... side..." he groans. I lift his shirt up on the side, and I almost faint. his entire side is black, and in the middle there is a red line. there is also a bump where the bone sticks out. "Tobias..." I go week at the knees and collapse. "That bad huh?" He says. "I would help you up, but I can't really bend over." "Its fine." I get up a tiny bit shakily. "We need to get you to a doctor." "I can't tris." "Well you have to we-" "No Tris I literally can't walk." "Oh... I will get my mother she is a nurse. I will be right back I love you." I turn and sprint out the door.