Chapter 2: tobias

How could I be so stupid to let myself get carried away like that! I've had a crush on tris since we were 10, and I don't think she ever liked me. My mind starts to drift off, and I start to think about Tris, the way her hips curve ever so slightly, and how her eyes are so blue that they almost glow in the dark. I want to tell her I love her, and to kiss her, but I can't do that. Love is self indulgent. Self indulgence is frowned upon. The school day goes by in a blur. I keep thinking about how she pushed me away. GOD WHY WAS I SO STUPID! She could never love me. She's perfect and beautiful, and smart. I'm sensitive, and weak, and broken.

        When the final bell rings I jump out of my seat grab my papers and storm out of the classroom. I jog down the school stairs not bothering to wait for Tris. I turn onto our secret path and slow down to a walk. "Hey" a voice says startling me out of my thoughts "I couldn't find you, where were you?" I shrug. She slips her hand into mine and I yank it away. "What's wrong?" she asks innocently. She is everything but innocent. The way she makes me feel... I can't explain it. "Tris I'm really not in the mood to talk, I'll see you tomorrow" I start to run and before long I'm at my house.