Chapter 21:Tris

"So what now?" I ask Tobias once the shock and happiness has worn off. "I don't know," He confesses, "When should we leave?" "Tonight." I answer automatically. "Are you sure? We could wait..." Tobias trails off. "Tobias..." I warn him. We've been over this, and we are not going back now that we've made our decision. "Fine." He huffs, blowing a piece of his hair out of his face. "So if we are leaving tonight, which we are, we will have to pack some things." I say, as a plan starts to develop. "Yeah, but we can't bring much." He remarks. "I know." I sigh.

"Tris," He says pulling me into a hug, "we don't have to go so soon." He whispers into my ear. "Yes we do." I say looking up at him. "I want to be with you." He leans down and pecks my lips. "Meet me at the train tracks at midnight. We will catch the first train we see. Only pack what you need. Don't worry about food. Just bring some clothes, things like that." I nod when he finishes. "Go." He says looking at the clock on his wall. "It's almost dinner time. And try not to give anything away." He says.

"Okay." I whisper. He gives me a quick kiss, and I run out the door. My feet crunch against the dirt road as I race home. I slow to a walk as I reach my house. I casually walk up the stairs, and I see my family setting the table. "Beatrice." My father acknowledges me as I walk in. "Father." I say back greeting him.

We sit down to the table for dinner. I put my head down and just listen to what my family is saying, never contributing. "Beatrice?" My mother's kind voice questions. "Yes?" I say looking up."Are you alright dear?" She says, "You haven't spoken a word." "Oh no mother, I am fine." I respond quickly. She looks at me suspiciously before returning to the conversation.

When I finish the meal, I take my dish over to the sink, and look in the water. That was probably my last good meal for a very long time. The thought nearly brings me to tears. I place my dish in the sink and turn to climb the stairs to my room. I stop short before walking back into the kitchen.

"Mom, dad?" My parents turn to me, stopping their chores. "Yes Beatrice?" My father responds. "I just wanted to tell you that I love you both very much, okay?" "Oh and we love you too dear." My mother says. I walk over to them with a lump in my throat and hug them both.

I turn around and walk back to the stairs."Goodnight mom, goodnight dad." They mumble their responses before returning to there work. I climb the stairs two at a time, the sadness slowly leaving me and being replaced by happiness.

I grab my canvas school bag and shove whatever fits in. Clothes, girl things, a large warm blanket, one hundred dollars, a coat and a small pocket knife that I had found near the tracks when I was younger. I then look at the clock and notice that it is not even 9:00. I decide to lay down for a bit to release some of the tension from my body.

Not before long, I shut my eyes and drift to sleep, thinking of the new life that is waiting for me.