fifteen

wednesday morning | san fran

———

I was sitting down, waiting for Dr. Warren to come into the office. I was tired. I hadn't gotten much sleep last night.

   Jace kept me up, forcing me to help him study for one of his finals. In addition, I was studying for my own finals. I didn't understand how he did that Engineering shit.

Then I had a meeting with my accountant before my therapy session.

    I didn't necessarily need an accountant. It was just preferred. After high school, I got into investments and wanted more financial advice.

I managed my own money.

     My parents molded me when it came to business and what not. I owned a music streaming service and had stake in the LA Lakers.

My mom bought the complex that I was living in and made me joint owner, therefore, I didn't have to pay any bills. I had about four different sources of income and made right at thirty million dollars per year.

   I was just getting started.

Dr. Warren walked into the room, giving me a small smile before closing the door behind her. "Good to see you, Nia."

   "Same." I looked at her. "How are things going?"

She shrugged. "Well. I can't complain. How about you?"

   "Can't complain." I said.

"Hmm," She hummed. "Could be good. A lot can change in a week."

   I nodded in agreement. "You are absolutely correct."

Dr. Warren gave me a look as she took a seat on the couch across from me. Looks like I had her full, undivided attention. "Has something changed?"

   "I guess you can say that." She motioned for me to continue. "I decided to let Jace in."

Her eyes slightly bucked in shock. Surely she wasn't expecting me to say that. "Wow, why the sudden change of heart?"

   "I was comparing him to Shiloh and—"

"Nia."

    I held my hands up. "Let me finish." Dr. Warren nodded. "I was comparing him to Shiloh and I know you said that's not fair to him. But, it actually worked out in his favor."

Placing her hand under her chin, she kept her eyes on me. "I'm listening."

    "Jace has given me security in ways Shiloh never did. He has both feet in the door unlike Shiloh." I explained.

"What makes you believe Shiloh didn't have both feet in the door with you?"

   "Dr. Warren." I sighed softly. "We've talked about this."

She chuckled. "I know, but I want you to understand that I don't quite see it the way you do."

    "If he had both feet in the door, he would have never helped Travis in the first place. How can you not see that?"