Deep Rooted Tree

The course of true love never did run smooth – William Shakespeare

Missing the second half of your heart was the undeniable part of being in love. As in, you might not be together with the one you love all the time, and it would be very painful. Such was the art of love.

For the first time in his life, Dylan Wang experienced the pain of missing someone.

It's been a while since he spent a real quality time with his family. Ever since he filmed Meteor Garden, he was rarely home for three days in a row.

He loved his family dearly. He really, really did.

But at that precise day, all he wanted to do was to jump onto a plane and ran to Shen Yue.

He wouldn't, though. He knew his family also missed him terribly, and giving them quality time was still very important in his list.

However, he'd be lying if he said he didn't check his phone ten times more often than his usual self would do.

He HAD to see her in a video call at least once a day, or he'd go entirely crazy.

He went all fidgety when she didn't reply his text message in five minutes—which happened a lot. He knew Shen Yue was on the process of choosing her next work, so she was busy reading scripts.

And more often than not, he was often distracted.

Finally, one afternoon, as he was in the kitchen with his Mom, helping her to prepare their family's lunch by chopping the vegetables, his Mom asked, "Alright. Enough is enough. Who's the girl? Tell your Mom, Son, or I won't live in peace."

Dylan was so shocked he cut his own finger with the knife.

"OW!!! ARGH, IT HURTS!!!"

"WHAT'S WRONG???" his mother asked, leaping to her son and snatching his injured hand.

Here's the thing.

Dylan was an only child. And he lived in a house with his parents, grandparents, an aunt and an uncle. He's the jewel of their hearts, and everyone was within earshot, since they were all waiting for lunch to be ready.

"What happened??? Why were you both screaming?" his uncle asked, running to the kitchen.

"Daughter, what happened to my grandson?" his grandmother inquired, materializing in the kitchen as silently as a spy.

"He cut his knife while he was chopping vegetables...." his mother answered, nearly crying.

"Aiyo, I'm fine lah. Why are you all acting so dramatic?" Dylan said, washing his injured hand with water. It was indeed a bleeding cut on his fourth finger.

"This is why you shouldn't force a tired son to help you cooking. Now look what you've done."

"It's just a small cut, Nai Nai. A band-aid will fix it."

His grandfather, father and aunt also stopped playing mah-jong and went to the kitchen to see what the commotion was all about.

The cast was complete now, Dylan thought, laughing inside.

"Somebody get a band-aid for my grandson."

"I got it" his aunt declared, a band-aid in one hand and a betadine on the other hand.

Dylan really wanted to stop all the drama, but he felt that his grandmother would be angrier if he tried to avoid the attention.

Somehow, his whole family stood there in the kitchen as his grandmother cleaned his wound then bandaged it.