Strange

"The Dark Stranger" © VeGirl 2014

"What do you mean; our lives are in danger?"

"Yes, they're trackers and our trackers can't find them." He snarl. "As if you guys don't have enough trouble...?" The end of that sentence is a tired sigh. He sounds resigned.

"So; we have hungry mythical creatures on our back?" I probe for confirmation. "That's a new one..." Sarcasm is flowing in that statement. Damian is looking at me with a troubled look on his face while Vincent is snickering.

"What's wrong with you guys?"

"We've been hunted for so long; what's another decade?"

Damian's face still doubt our sanity. "You are nuts."

"Yeah I guess you're right about us, but what are we gonna do about you?" I fall into Vincent's snickering.

"How to protect the vicious predator...?" Damian's tone holds a healthy dose of sarcasm. "I think we should focus on protecting you guys instead. How are you doing by the way?" His eyes flicker towards Vincent.

"It's getting better..."

"Good. I had no idea if it would work on someone like you." He glances at his friend. "I've never needed to save an... angel..." He still sounds as if it is too hard to grasp and that is ironic considering that he himself is...a mythical figure. 

"How far is it?" The GPS says fourth five minutes, something I note the second I cast a glance at it. "Are they still on our tracks?"

"They're not close enough for me to see them, but I'm sure they haven't given up. I wouldn't have."

"But if we drive to my house, won't we lead them straight there? What if we put Layla in danger? ...and Eddie..." I add as I suddenly remember her. "What if something happens to them?"

Vincent squeezes my hand and I can feel the strength is returning to him. "We won't put them in danger."

"See, I should have listened to that premonition about the dark stranger. Hey, that could as well have been about you!" I turn my frustration towards Damian. "You're dark and...strange..."

He snickers. "Yeah life is strange...and it doesn't get any better after death either..."

"Amen!"

I turn to look at Vincent after his enigmatic comment. It hits me that he's referring to his return after death. We haven't really discussed it except that he was some kind of monk who got killed for taking care of me. I had him killed. Dread fills me as I stare wide eyed at him, but he simply smiles. "I'm sorry..." I mumble.

"Would you lovebirds get of the smooch-trip so we can come up with a plan?"

I shake my head ever so slightly to snap out of it. "Yeah, what are our options?"

"Run...?"

"Oh, we have a little better offer than that..." Vincent says and both Damian and I turn to watch him with a bemused expression. "You know what Esme is." He says to me.

"A witch..." a smirk widens on Damian's face.

"How much have you told him?"

I can't recall telling him that, but he's a clever boy. "He helped me to rescue you." My tone is a little on the defensive side. "You were here when I said something about her being forced to rewind the clock."

"I figured it out myself. Give me some credit!" Damian gives us an incredulous face. "You haven't been that secretive and we have to come up with a plan that protects Layla."