The last clue of the puzzle

"The Dark Stranger" © VeGirl 2014

For about a week we bunk up together as best we can. We do have two houses and for all the weird reasons Aoleon and Nick keeps hitting it off while I stand back and let them. It feels a little too strange that the sister I had never known and my brother at heart has sparks flying all over.

Yes, I know that they aren't blood related at all, but it still creeps me out.

Beyond that, I have a vampire living in the basement; the most natural thing in the world, right?

We manage from one day to another as if we are participants in some show on tv.

When Esme is taking Kent along to make an order for supplies in the magic-shop, I tag along to make a quick stop at the bakery for something sweet.

My mother has decided to come and visit and since I am not interested in baking, I'll rather go to the bakery where my friends make delicious sweets. It feels somewhat wrong to walk in through the front door like everybody else, so I round the corner and sneak in through the staff door.

The kitchen is busy but soon Eddie walks around a corner. "Eddie!" I hurry forward to wrap my arms around my friend.

"Whoa!" Eddie put both hands up to stop me. "How about that stomach-flu?" Her expression is suspicious to say the least.

My smile widens. "What I've got isn't contagious."

She raises her brows expectantly for me to spill.

"I'm pregnant!" I flung my hands out and in no time she has me joyously wrapped in her arms.

"You're pregnant? Congratulations, baby!" She lets me go momentarily to look at me and then she wraps me hard in her arms again. "I'm so happy for you."

It feels so good to laugh with Eddie just like we used to do a year ago or more. "I've missed you."

"Yeah and when are you coming back now, with the baby and all...?"

I smile wide. "I think I'll play hooky for a little while longer..."

She smiles wickedly. "I totally understand, and have even taken some time off myself with Kevin tempting me."

I bark out laughing. "I'm glad everything is fine with you."

"Yeah, life is good."

"So... what can you offer a girl who is about to tell her mommy that she is pregnant?"

"Oh..." Eddie has a mischievous smile on her face. "Come with me sweetie..."

Minutes later Eddie has picked out several of today's delicacies and has wished me good luck. I promise to keep in touch before I walk out of there. With a smile on my face and a cakebox in hand I walk the short distance to the magic-shop to meet up with Esme and her number one fan.

The odd magic couple is standing by the computer behind the counter. "Hi there." Esme smiles at me.

"Hi, I managed to avoid the rush I see." I look around in the empty shop.

"Are you looking for something special?" Kent smiles mischievously. "Like a crystal wand?"

I give him a sardonic smile.  "I wouldn't know what to do with it." We all snicker together. The others return their attention to the computer while they keep mumbling things like; Aconite, Moondew or Neem oil. "Did you say Fox glove?"

They turned surprised up at me with faces telling me that was the most natural thing. "Yes?"

"Never mind." I raise my hands in defeat. With a mixture of fascinations and disgust I walk along the locked cupboard with various bottles of potions, reading the labels. "Nux Myristica?"