Chapter 42

{3 months later}
"Are you sure that's the best idea?" Johnny asked me with squinted eyes. I had a bouquet of flowers in one hand.

"Marlie is coming back today. She's different now, but you said that if we're meant to be then she'll like me back again. Right?" I asked, looking at Johnny.

Johnny shrugged," I guess so. But, I'm not going with you to the airport. Her and I still aren't on good terms after..."

"I got it." I looked down at the flowers and I sighed.
-
{Marlie's P.O.V}
I was sitting on my seat anxiously on the plane. Eugene was asleep next to me. He had to scoot down in his seat in order to put his head on my shoulder snuggly, tickling my neck. I couldn't sleep. Graduation is tomorrow and Leo will be there. Ugh, why do I even still care?

I rolled my eyes to myself, looking down slowly towards sleeping Eugene.

If you're wondering, him and I aren't together, but I couldn't help but feel something for him. I didn't know if it was friendly or romantic, or maybe it was just the feeling of Rome, but something was definitely there. Feelings.

I had brushed it off. I can't like Eugene. There's no way. I'm just desperate. Nothing more. I tilted my head so I was looking outside of the plane. We were close now. Back to square one.
-
The seatbelt sign turned off and we were already landed when I nudged Eugene awake. He sleepily opened his eyes, scanning his surroundings, before his eyes landed on me. A smile spread across his face and my stomach tugged upwards.

"Have we landed?" He leaned over me, looking out of the window. I held my breath. He was too close. He leaned back, running his hand through his hair and looking over at me.

"Are you tired? Sorry, I slept on you the whole flight." He asked me, bags under his eyes.
I shook my head slowly.

"Not at all." I smiled.

He turned on his phone, looking at the contents and smiling.

It's his new girlfriend texting.

I nudged him. He almost dropped his phone as he looked up at me.

"It's our turn. Get up." I mumbled.
He looked up, saying sorry to the people behind us as he got up, guiding me to walk in front of him.
-
After we got our baggage, we walked slowly towards the exit of the airport. I smiled over at him as he talked about how much he'll miss that trip. I would miss it also.

"Do you think we can take a trip again?" He asked, smiling. I nodded.

"Definitely."

"I'll bring my girlfriend also." He smiled happily. I sighed.

I looked over in front of me and I paused, my eyes fixed on the figure a few feet away from me. Leo slowly took off his sunglasses, a bouquet of flowers in one hand as he looked in my direction. He still looked the same as when I left, but instead his hair was back to the blond I loved. His blue eyes sparkled once he saw me, a smile flashing onto his face.

I felt like my whole world was crashing down. Why is he here? Did Jacky tell him I was coming today?

Leo walked over, not keeping his eyes off me.

After what felt like eternity, he stopped, looking down at me.

"Long time no see, Marlie." He smiled his flashy smile. I looked up at him, feeling sad. Whenever I saw him, I left so sad. It was terrible.

I laughed softly, my eyes glancing towards his hand. And then towards Eugene who was looking at Leo intensely.

"These are for you." He smiled, placing the bouquet of flowers in front of me. I looked down at them, smelling their aroma from all the way over here.