Run for the Hills

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

 I left the party as quickly as possible with Scarlet and Michael. I had Michael’s arm over my shoulder and helped him out to the car. “Stay here with Michael! I’ll find the girls!” I shouted over the noise of the party. Scarlet nodded in approval and I ran inside dodging disordered drunk teens.

I entered the lounge room, hoping I’d find Sarah. Luckily she wasn’t that hard to find. She was grinding against some guy from her physical education class. They were gathered by the fire place on the other side of the room. But I couldn’t reach them with the heavy crowd.

Marcy” Whispered a familiar voice. My eyes blurred, I felt strange, like someone had spiked me with a weird drug. I looked over to a clearing of people, and in shining light stood the man who I had been mourning.

“Reece” I gasped, my voice broke and my heart leapt. Tears filled my eyes, he looked so sad. I couldn’t help but run to him, well more of a stumble in my current condition. He had a broken smile as I ran towards him.

Marcy, no…” He whispered, but I ignored his warning and ran into his arms. I was quickly snapped back into reality when I realised I was hugging a random stranger.

“What the fuck are you doing!?” groaned a husky voice.

I looked up into the eyes of a big guy with thick black eyebrows and dark brown eyes. “Shit, sorry, wrong person…” I smiled politely and let go of the stranger.

I paced across the dance floor still distraught from my encounter with Reece. “Sarah!” I called to her. “Oi, Sarah!” I picked up a buoyant ball that was at my feet, I stood up on the couch so I was above the tangle of drunk, dancing, teenagers. I remembered all Reece’s lessons on how to hit a target. Be one with the ball, focus on your target, and throw it as if it’s your last chance. The memory of my brother instructing me in my ear gave me chills.

I stood there focused on Sarah, with my arm ready to hit her bleach blonde head. When the time was right I pitched the ball at Sarah, hitting her directly at her skull. “Hey!” She yelled, and turned around to see me with my grateful smile.

“Hey we got to go! This party will be shut down at any moment with police!” I shouted to her.

She looked aggressive, and snarled her words. “Fuck off Marcy! I don’t care, go with your stupid bitchy friends and leave! I’m just fine here!” I looked at her with wide eyes, I thought she was my friend? Obviously not.

“Sarah, Why are you acting like this!?” I shrieked. She rolled her eyes and turned back to the guy rubbing his junk on her butt. She completely ignored me. I was so confused, but if this is what Sarah wants, she can have it.

-

I pulled out my phone and called Rachel, I heard her ‘blurred lines’ ring tone nearby. I followed the sound into the hallway, she was held up against the wall by another girl. I thought she was being attacked, but before I could run to save her, the attacker kissed Rachel passionately.

I watched for a few moments, a little confused about this situation. They were all over each other, but I was desperate to leave this party. “Rachel!” I shouted. The two girls broke apart and stared at me shockingly.

“Marcy! It’s not what it looks like!” Rachel called back passively.

“It’s okay Rach! It’s none of my business! But we’re going now, are you coming?” I asked, she nodded and said goodbye to the girl that was with her. We left the raging house just in time, as we entered Scarlet’s car, the house party was busted and swarmed with cops.

“Where’s Sarah?” Scarlet asked overwhelmingly from the front seat.

“She’s not coming,” I replied, “just drive.”

Scarlet did just what I’d said and pulled out of the street and zoomed off into the night. I checked my phone, 8 missed calls, and 5 texts. “Wow, I’ve got a lot of messages.” I muttered to myself. I checked the miss calls, all were from mum. The texts were from her too.

Come home please it’s late, I’m worried x

Marcy, please call me?

Marcy where are you!? I’ll come pick you up, just tell me where you are.

Get your ass home now!!

Pick up ur god damn phone Marce!

“Oh no, I’m in shit.” I cried.

“Why, what’s wrong!?” Scarlet asked.

“My mum has been trying to contact me like crazy. I don’t think she remembers that she said I could go to Megan’s party.” I exclaimed.  

---

“Mum! Mum? Are you up?” I called. I stumbled into the lounge room, and mum sat with her arms crossed watching a late-night TV show on the couch.

“Yes. I’m awake. Where were you?” She growled, still staring at the screen.

“I went to Megan’s party! I asked you if I could go!” I exclaimed.

“When? When Marcy!? Because I thought I told you that you're grounded.” Mum yelled snapping her head in my direction.

I started to get irritated “Like two days ago! After I ate tea, alone, again!” I screeched.

Her expression was mixed, I couldn’t tell if she was angry, annoyed, guilty, upset, anxious, tired, or hungry. But she just stared off distantly.

“You know, I never had this trouble with your brother.” She said coldly.

“Well you know what mum!? I’m not Reece! I will never be Reece! He’s my brother, not me! You say you never had this problem with him, but look what happened? You caged him mum! And he snuck out because he was sick of it, he got pissed and his drunk friends went driving with him and they hit a tree! That’s what happened! He was not as perfect as you think mum!” I shrieked, I had to get out, I ran into my room slamming the door. I grabbed some money that I hid in a can in one of my drawers, and a jumper and trackies to keep me warm.

I decided to leave as soon as I could, jumping out of the window and running down the street as far as I could. I ran until I couldn't breathe.

I called my best friend feeling overwhelmingly upset.

Me: “Scarlet! Scarlet, are you there!” I cried into my phone.

Scarlet: “Marce? What’s wrong?” She asked sounding panicked.

Me: “My mum is so horrible, can I stay at yours for a while? I can’t go home, not with her there!”

Scarlet: “Yeah, but I live on the hills, you know how far it is! I’ll have to come and get you, can you wait 20 minutes?”

Me: “Yeah, I’m out on the streets by the milk bar, the one near the school.”

Scarlet: “Oh yeah, no worries hun, just stick there, keep calm I’m coming.”