Chapter 2

Love Field, Dallas

Jackie emerged from the plane first. She smiled and walked carefully down the steps. Jack followed behind, looking on with pride at his radiant wife. She had to bear so much the last few months with Patrick’s death; he hoped this trip would lift her spirits.

When he joined her on the ground she’d been given a bunch of red roses. The rain was pouring down. They quickly left the officials and headed to the car. Jackie got in first and put her roses in the middle of the seat. She heard Jack groan as he got in. “Bunny are you okay?”

“It’s just my back.”

She gingerly rubbed his leg but stopped when the Connelly’s got in. It was rather loud in the car as the rain battered of the roof. Jack was sitting awkwardly trying to take the pressure of his aching back. Jackie was concerned but didn’t want to say anything. It would be ages before he could rest and take his brace off.

As the car left Love Field both Jack and Jackie waved to the strong crowds. As the car reached downtown Dallas Jack moved stiffly. “Do you have any pain relief?”

“I don’t but Mr Hill does, I’ll get you some when we arrive at the Trade Market.”

Jack nodded.

“Mr President you can’t say Dallas doesn’t love you, look at the people standing in the rain.” Mrs Connelly said.

“No, you certainly can’t.” Jack said through a pained smiled.

Suddenly there was a sharp bang. The glass roof shattered into a million pieces. There were screams from the Connelly’s but Jackie turned to her husband. He was moaning. “Oh my God Jack!” Jackie exclaimed as she pulled him into her. He was clutching his side.

Jack was lying in her lap, breathing heavily. “Bunny speak to me.”

“Jack?”

Suddenly she heard a thud on the back of the car. Clint hovered above them.

“HOSPITAL NOW!” Clint yelled. It was raining more now. The First Lady was getting soaked as was the President.

“Jack please speak to me, don’t close your eyes, don’t die on me Jack! I love you.” Jackie said as she stroked his hair.

“Jackie.” Jack whispered.

She began to cry and held him close; she couldn’t lose him, not now, not ever.

The car raced to the nearest hospital. Roy radioed ahead to warn them. However, no one knew when they arrived if they would find an injured President or a dead one.