Honesty

The explosion of anger was overwhelming, but Ryo found himself caught off guard. He slowly backed away from Kinkade allowing the young man to move away from the wall where Ryo pinned him. He watched Kinkade reach up so he could rub his neck and shoulder. "Wow. Just..."

"Oh joy." James let out a deep breath while his eyes narrowed in annoyance. He quickly stepped between Ryo and the girl. "What do you want this time?"

"I want to give him a piece of my mind!" The young woman pointed at Ryo while Ryo glanced away. He nervously rubbed the back of his neck.

"What else is new?" James snapped at the young woman, but Ryo realized he still didn't know her name.

"What else is new? He's not just taking advantage of the pain our family feels, but he had to add to that insult with his latest song?"

Ryo's mouth twisted in confusion, but in the back of his mind, he felt a slight confusion because "Dark Beauty" wasn't the only new song. One of his hands reached up and rubbed the back of his neck, but he found himself avoiding eye contact.

"Wait? This guy is Doragonhanta."

"He's a jerk! That's what he is!"

Kinkade's eyes blinked while James continued glaring at the young woman in annoyance. He slowly turned his head to look at Ryo, then looked at the young woman before looking at Ryo again. "She's talking about that song Dark Beauty, you know."

"I already got that." Ryo found himself rather annoyed but shoved his hands into his jean's pockets. For some reason, he didn't want to make eye contact with her, yet in the back of his mind, he also knew this would make him seem even more guilty.

"So..." Kinkade started turning back towards the young female.

"Don't encourage her. She's Lance's sister."

Kinkade's mouth formed a circle while he pointed a finger at her. The young woman snapped. "You know, it isn't nice to point."

"True. And you're also her sister."

Ryo glanced up at Kinkade. "Who?"

"Ah..." Kinkade glanced over at Ryo.

"He doesn't know that one of Lance's sisters is a member of the garrison and one of our teachers. He's only met this one."

Ryo took a deep breath. "Well, I've met neither."

"You don't know me either, so why are you writing that song! It's about falling in love with someone with dark skin at first sight, but you know that person is your soul mate! I don't even like you, but it won't convince me to like you either! It makes me hate you even more."

"You're assuming that it's about you, aren't you?" Ryo found himself looking up at her in anger. The first time he saw her she'd looked up at him and he instinctively looked away, yet this time he made the choice and locked eyes with her. He felt his breath draw in tightly, yet quickly glanced away. Despite Keith's love for some alien being the influence, Ryo couldn't deny the attraction he felt. He found himself looking away in irritation.

"He's right you know." James' voice drew Ryo's head back up.

"Yeah. There are a lot of girls who think they're the influence for that song." Kinkade piped up. "It's on the news."

"That doesn't change the fact it is embarrassing, particularly since my friends think it's me because they know my brother is one of the missing cadets."

Ryo took a deep breath before bowing slightly towards the young woman. "Look. I can't apologize for writing a song about you because you weren't the inspiration for the song, but I do apologize for the fact it has caused you some form of embarrassment."