Prologue

FRIENDSHIPS:
BUILT, REVIVED, AND EVOLVED

(A How To Train Your Dragon Fanfiction)

By: Astrid Camicazi N. Hofferson

Summary: Harper "Hiccup" Haddock is ditched by his best friend, Astrid Hofferson for fame and reputation. Can one event revive their friendship and make it even more? (MODERN AU!)

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON.

A/N: English isn't my first language so please bear with me. Constructive criticisms are pretty much appreciated.

- HTTYD-

PROLOGUE

[Berk, Thirteen Years Ago]

In the quiet neighborhood of Berk, two young children played in the backyard of their neighboring houses. Astrid, a fearless and adventurous girl with golden hair, held a plastic sword high above her head.

"Roar! I'm a dragon! Fear me!" she exclaimed, her imagination taking her on an epic adventure.

Hiccup, a slightly smaller boy with messy brown hair, giggled as he pretended to be a knight. "Thought that you're the princess, and I'm going to save you, Asty."

Astrid shook her head with determination. "I'm no damsel in distress, Hiccy. So come on and fight me."

Hiccup grinned mischievously. "If you wish." And with that, the two friends engaged in a playful battle, their laughter filling the air.

[Berk, Nine Years Ago]

Over the years, Astrid and Hiccup had become inseparable. They spent every waking moment together, laughing, playing, and sharing their dreams. Their bond grew stronger with each passing day.

"You are my best friend forever, Asty," Hiccup said, his eyes filled with sincerity.

Astrid smiled brightly. "Yes, you are mine too, Hiccy. No one can separate us apart forever."

"Promise?" Hiccup asked, extending his pinky finger.

Astrid hooked her pinky around his. "Promise!"

[Berk, Five Years Ago]

As they entered their early teens, Astrid and Hiccup faced new challenges, including the complexities of growing up. They found themselves in the same class at Berk Academy, and life seemed perfect until one fateful day.

A group of older students approached Astrid during a break between classes. "Hey! You friends with that wimp Harper 'Hiccup' Horrendous Haddock, right?" one of them sneered.

Astrid's eyes narrowed, feeling protective of her friend. "No, I am certainly not! Why should I be friends with him? He is puny and weak. He is useless. And those who are useless don't deserve friends."

The older students laughed mockingly before leaving Astrid alone. Unbeknownst to her, Hiccup had overheard the hurtful conversation from a distance.

Later that day, after the last class, Hiccup approached Astrid hesitantly, his heart heavy with sadness. "Hey, Astrid! How is my best friend doing?"

Astrid turned away, trying to hide the conflict within her heart. "Listen, Haddock, I don't want to be friends with you any longer."

Hiccup's eyes widened in shock. "Why? But you said and promised that we'll be friends, FOREVER."

Astrid's voice quivered as she struggled to maintain her resolve. "Because you are useless. I don't need a person like you in my life. Don't you ever show up to me anymore. Goodbye!"

Hiccup stood there, hurt and heartbroken, as he watched Astrid walk away without looking back. "Wait! Hear me out. I can change for you. Don't leave me. Please Astrid! ASTRID!" he called after her, his pleas echoing in the empty schoolyard.

-HTTYD-

A/N: Hello! After years of being inactive due to pursuing personal endeavors, I've decided to revisit some of my past works and update them. I've added more vivid descriptions and improved the overall syntax of the story. I hope that you'll enjoy reading the updated version.

Sincerely,

ACNHHH

Originally Published: March 5, 2019

Wattpad Publishing Date: April 22, 2019

Updated: February 20, 2024