Chapter Nine

FRIENDSHIPS:

BUILT, REVIVED, AND EVOLVED

(A How To Train Your Dragon Fanfiction)

By: Astrid Camicazi N. Hofferson

Summary: Harper "Hiccup" Haddock is ditched by his best friend, Astrid Hofferson for fame and reputation. Can one event revive their friendship and make it even more? (MODERN AU!)

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON.

A/N: English isn't my first language so please bear with me. Constructive criticisms are pretty much appreciated.

- HTTYD-

IX

THE DECISION

TYLER

TONIGHT, TUFFNUT AND RUFFNUTdecided to stay indoors, foregoing any parties or potential mischief to avoid being seen by Snotlout. They needed to be cautious, especially because Ruffnut was feeling under the weather, and Tuffnut was taking care of her. Boredom set in as they found themselves cooped up in their room, so they turned to their social media accounts for entertainment.

After a while, Tuffnut's phone rang, displaying an unknown number. Curiosity got the better of him, and he answered the call.

"Hello, Tuff, it's me," a familiar slightly nasal voice spoke on the other end.

"Hiccup? Is that you?" Tuffnut asked in surprise.

"Yeah, it's me. I just wanted to tell you that I've already made my decision," Hiccup stated.

Tuffnut was eager to share the news with Ruffnut, calling her over to listen to Hiccup's decision.

"Ruffnut, come over here!" he called out.

Annoyed at first, Ruffnut approached, but her mood quickly shifted when she learned the reason for the interruption. She took the phone from Tuffnut and spoke to Hiccup.

"Hello, H. It's Ruff. What is your decision?" she asked with anticipation.

After a brief conversation, Ruffnut hung up, a wide grin on her face. She couldn't contain her excitement and let out a joyful squeal, shaking Tuffnut in the process.

"What did he tell you?" Tuffnut asked, eager to know the outcome.

"He agrees with the plan and promises to give it his all. He won't regret it, and we'll meet up maybe tomorrow," Ruffnut shared.

"Really?!"

"Yes!"

Overwhelmed with excitement, they jumped on their beds like enthusiastic kids. Hiccup's agreement meant they could finally put their plan into action, and they couldn't wait to see what the next few days had in store for them.

oOo

HARPER

AFTER AGREEING TO to the Thorston twins' offer, Hiccup found himself in a dilemma. Tuffnut wanted to meet him after school, but Hiccup had already scheduled a tutor session with Astrid. However, Tuffnut insisted that Astrid knew about the plan and assured him that they had rescheduled the meeting at 6 PM at the Mead Hall Diner, one of Berk's best fast-food restaurants.

[Library, Timeskip..]

During their tutor session on classical mechanics, Hiccup noticed that Astrid's understanding had improved significantly since their previous sessions. Impressed, he assigned her some questions, and she answered them all correctly within fifteen minutes.

As they made their way to the Mead Hall, Hiccup decided to confront Astrid about not telling him about the twins' plan.

"Astrid, I'd like to ask you something," Hiccup began hesitantly.

"Sure, go ahead," Astrid replied.

"You knew about this plan of Ruff and Tuff. Why didn't you tell me?" Hiccup questioned.

Confusion flashed across Astrid's face. "Wait... you're part of this?! I didn't know. So you're going to the Mead Hall too, aren't you? I thought you just wanted to eat there. But anyway, they said that aside from the five of us, there's another guy they won't reveal the identity of until tonight."

Hiccup was taken aback. Astrid seemed genuinely surprised by his involvement, which led him to believe that she had indeed not known about it.

Arriving at the Mead Hall, Tuffnut proudly announced Hiccup's presence, leaving Heather and Fishlegs flabbergasted.

"So he is the guy you two were talking about?" Fishlegs asked, pointing at Hiccup.

"Yep, the one and only," Ruffnut affirmed.

Astrid's words rang true, and Hiccup felt a mix of relief and concern. While he was relieved that Astrid hadn't kept his involvement a secret, he couldn't shake off the sense of unease about the twins' plan.

"Astrid's right. Why do you summon us tonight?" Hiccup asked.

"Because we wanted you to know how the plan will go. It's time to prepare," Tuffnut grandly declared. "So better listen as we speak, 'cause this will be awesome!"

"Dream on," Hiccup scoffed at the twins' bravado, not entirely convinced that their plan would be as spectacular as they claimed.

-HTTYD-

Originally Published: March 5, 2019
Wattpad Publishing Date: April 22, 2019
Updated: February 20, 2024