Ch. 16 - Happier

Romelle sat down on one of the chairs nearby a dressing room. She is staring down at her account and going through some very old photos of Keith and Allura. Times of their relationship was cute but she recalls the nights of doubt and rethinking her choices. At some point, she did believe that Keith was her "one and only" but that faded as soon as she first laid eyes on Lotor. Another disappointment.

Lotor was right to let her go for his own ambitions but Romelle did not like the fact of how he couldn't think twice over Allura. She deserved some type of sympathy. That night of the local show was suppose to be her time of triumph and pleasing the one man who doubts her. Alfor. Despite all these thoughts about the men in her life, Romelle takes a deep breath and shakes off the negativity.

"Alright, What do you think of this Romy?" Allura spoke as she removed the curtain to reveal herself dressed in a strapless white cocktail dress.

Romelle giggles a little, "Fit for a princess."

Lately, I've been, I've been thinking
I want you to be happier, I want you to be happier

———

"Public school graduation sounds more intimate than mine," Romelle says as she nibbles on her favourite ice cream.

Allura shrugs and stares down at a text from Lance, "You're still invited and I am more than happy to have you there." She smiles at her best friend, which causes Romelle to smile in return.

When the morning comes
When we see what we've become

"So tell me about Lance. He seems to be your other best friend," Romelle purposely arched a brow and hints some jealousy. Of course it's sarcasm but she's curious to know who has her attention this time.

In the cold light of day we're a flame in the wind

Allura playfully shoves Romelle by the arm and quickly taps her screen to reply to Lance. "Silly girl. He's just telling me about something interesting."

"Like?"

She purses her lips, "He's saying he'll be off to Cuba for the summer." The tone tells Romelle that it's a bitter sweet type of news. No clue as to why but she can predict almost every emotion of Allura's by glance.

"That is pretty far away... is he from there?" Romelle tilts her head and observed the little bit of sadness in her eyes.

"Mhm. I'm going to miss him."

Not the fire that we've begun

There is that familiar and particular look, Romelle knows so well. A beam of hope and happiness lingering at her heart. With a sigh, she stops in front of Allura and pokes at her chest. Giving her the look of disappointment and hinting she shouldn't be heading towards the forbidden zone of temptation. Yes, Allura can translate all of that from her serious glare.

Every argument, every word we can't take back
'Cause with the all that has happened
I think that we both know the way that the story ends

"You just got out of a relationship, Allura."

She blushes. Of course, she blushes because it's obvious that a tiny crush is beginning to develop. Romelle knows this. She knows that exact look because it was there when she decided to date Keith. It was there when she first met Lotor.

"Wha— no. No! That's not what is happening here." Allura frowns and crosses her arms. "I'm shocked."

"Oh, you liar." Romelle pulls a single strand of her hair and laughs at her friends pain. That didn't stop Allura from returning the painful favour.