Chapter 8

________ held her purse tightly in her fist. She tried to listen to the sound of her heels hit the concrete as she made her way to the market. She'd made a list of some food she needed for a meal she found in an old cookbook. She swung open the glass door of the shop and let herself in, pausing in the door for a bit to straighten her dress coat. She slowly walked in and out of the isles, picking the occasional bag of peppers, and table salt, checking back with her notepad to see if it was on there. She ended at the last isle with a subtle smile of contentment. She adjusted her long, black braid as she clicked over to the register.

"Mornin," She was greeted by a plump, older gentleman.

"Good morning." She looked down at her watch and realize that it wasn't in fact morning anymore, it was actually ten to two.

"Havin' a good day?" He asked, scanning her items quickly and bagging them while he's at it. _______ nodded adjusting her stance.

"Yes sir, and you?" She noticed a sad smile grow onto his chubby face.

"Alright, my wife's just been put into hospital." He then let his smile drop, and lowered his voice. _______ frowned in sympathy.

"Oh that's horrible." She looked at him, knowing he wouldn't look up. He started talking again but her attention was drawn to the sound of someone entering the shop. The bell rang above the door and she looked over, just to see her new friend,

Newt.

"I just pray that everything will turn  out ok." She looked as Newt walked towards the vegetable section, but tuned in for the last bit of the cashier's story.

"O-oh well that's good." She smiled, earning one from him in return. They said their goodbyes, and _______ hurried over to where she saw Newt.

She spotted him sorting through the cucumbers, and went up to him.

"You like cucumbers I see." She she'd at him, picking up a pepper from the section beside him. He flinched at her sudden presence. She looked over at him, his eyes wide and his cheeks pink.

"The best are always at the bottom." He held one up, not making eye contact, then continued to civilly sort through until be reached the bottom, and picked a decent one.

"It seems we bump into each other wherever we go doesn't it Mr. Scamander?" She phrased it more like a statement but he nodded, stealing a glance at her as she dropped the pepper back into the pile.

"We do don't we." He gave a quick, faint smile before turning more towards her.

"I don't know if you've got anywhere to be," He paused looking at her, she gave a bid as if to continue

"b-but I was wondering if you would like to go to the park?" He asked, and when she only smiled and didn't answer, he got nervous.

"I- Just for a walk of course-"

"I'd love to." She smiled at him, blinking in appreciation. He nodded, shaking a bit, and went off by himself to check out. ________ waited outside for him against the storefront, and when he came back outside she stood, and followed him you their usual spot on the park bench.

"Tell me about yourself, Mr. Scamander." _______ started, glancing at him. He smiled, almost nervously.

"I'm mostly an average wizard there isn't much different about me." He sighed. She smiled down at her hands, now in a good mood.

"I'm sure that's not true," She countered immediately. He laughed it off, staying humble.

"I'm afraid it is." There was a pause before he spoke again.

"What about you, ________." ________ shuddered when he spoke her name.

"Pretty ordinary to say the least." He obviously felt that he was pressuring her, so he didn't ask anything else. They continued to sit there, enjoying each other's presence.

After another 15 minutes or so, _______ happened to look over to the entrance of the park just in time to see something she did not want to.

"Newt, you'll have to excuse me but I've got to go." She hurried, packing her scarf around her neck. Newt stood up not knowing what to do.

"Shall I walk you to wherever you need to go?" He offered.

"Thank you very much but I think you'd be safer staying away from me for the next couple of hours." She tried to put it in the least offensive way possible, which still seemed to hurt his feelings a bit.

"A-alright. Goodnight _______." He watched her walk away, and didn't get a reply back.

"Why does he have to be here? Why is he here?" She mumbled out loud to herself.

Gellert never really went outside, especially in public spaces like this.

She continued to walk, and proceeded to turn the corner just in time to hear his voice above all else.

"Mr. Scamander. How nice it is to meet you again."