Chapter Eight

***********************************
Genni and I became great friends. We hang out everyday after school at the Avalanche.

Genni has a secret obsession she's never told anybody. Anybody but me.

She loves to make ice-sculptures!

The Avalanche is an ice rink, where she uses old blocks of ice to turn into magnificent sculptures.

Sometimes we go down to the basement and freeze some water to make it.

Today were going. I love the Avalanche. It's like my second home now. Genni's my best friend.

Everything is perfect.

Except for Mary.

She bullies Genni. Not me, but Genni. I hope she stops, and we can be friends again. Someday, sometime. Like we were always. Until she turned into one of them...

***********************************

"Come now, Stellars," Genni urges me. "Stella, Gen, STELLA! Not Stellars..." My voice trails off as I think of Mary. Mary Beezh, but actually Beesh.She would hit me if we were still friends, and laugh.

I sniff back a tear, and nod at Genni.

"I guess I'll call you Stella," she says, noticing my absent mind.

I nod again because my throat is now cold and dry.

We round the corner in the dark, gloomy basement and come upon the freezer.

Genni opens it, and I feel like I've stepped into Alaska.

She hauls out a very large piece of ice and carries it away.

I shut the freezer door and follow her closely.

She sets the ice down in the corner and picks up a sharp knife.

She puts on her mittens and begins to work.

The ice slices roughly, but curves into a smooth edge.

I watch in awe.

It's just so amazing.

***********************************

"I hope your liking school!" Mom says.

"We'll DUH!" I say. "Why else would I be going to The Avalanche everyday after school?"

Great Grandma laughs and blows me a kiss.

I blow one back, and start to set the table for dinner.

We're having Grandpas favorite dish, Grumpy Chicken.

It's just lemon soaked Chicken, but one time, when Grandpa was grumpy, he made jokes about the chicken.

Now that's just what we call it.

It's original.

And Grandpa.

***********************************