Chapter 7

The ride back to Amaryllis was peaceful. The others were a lot more relaxed knowing we had the cure for their master and I was a lot more relaxed too because the more I talked with Ryder and his friends the more I felt like I was able to get a better grasp and understanding of who they really were. Even when they talked and joked about people from their Guild, people I didn't know, I pretended like I was one of them...even for just a moment. They made it easy for me to feel like I had known them for years.

They were all so normal. Like real teenagers. These people were all my age and we were so different and the same at the same time. It was all uncharted territory for me but I couldn't help but enjoy myself.

"So when we get back home are you going to rent a room at the Guild or live in the city?" Hazel asked me.

"Well I..."

I didn't want to think about having to leave, but I knew it wasn't smart to stay.

"The rooms at the Guild are cheap. Hazel and Naudia live in the city but at least you'll have me and Ryder!" Cooper said excitedly, his aura radiating.

"I thought everyone just lived at the Guild," I tried to redirect the conversation even though I did recall Ryder mentioning something about some of them living in the city.

"Only those who can't afford to live outside the Guild live in the Guild," Naudia said simply.

"I'm just too lazy to look," Cooper shrugged.

"She doesn't get it guys. Just leave her alone," Ryder muttered when he noticed my redirection.

"Doesn't get what?" Hazel asked.

"She doesn't get what a Guild is really about. She's a lone wolf. The only person she looks out for is herself," Naudia glared at me.

"That's not true! She looks out for us too!" Serena argued.

"Sorry bumpkin, but you're the ones that look after her. She'd be completely useless if it weren't for you three. She is completely useless without you."

"That's it!" Iris declared as her whole body was engulfed by flames and she shot herself in Naudia's direction but I quickly grabbed her leg and pulled her back down into my lap as Serena put the flames out and Trinkette calmed her down.

"It's okay, Iris," I murmured.

I accepted their annoyance because saying goodbye would be so much easier if they were angry with me.

"Take it easy, Naudia," Cooper chided.

"Yeah, back off," Hazel muttered.

"Tara will make her own choice in the end. We can't force her to stay if she doesn't want to," Ryder spoke and I don't think I had ever heard him go so cold. Then again, I had only known him for a couple days.

We finally reached Amaryllis and even with all of the celebrating going on, preparing for the festival in Lucerne, I just couldn't get into the festive mood. I was worried that the spell wouldn't work and now I was anxious about the silence that weighed all of us down as we made our way back to the Guild.

When we reached the bottom of the steps the others raced up and through the doors while I stopped right at the bottom unsure of what I was really doing. Serena, Iris and Trinkette waited for the go-ahead to follow them and once I nodded at them they flew through after the others, eager to help.

Time for goodbye.

"Well? What are you waiting for?"

I looked up to see Ryder had made it halfway up the staircase before turning to face me with his hands in his pockets. "We need you to do the spell. The faster you do it the faster you get as far away from us as possible, right?"