Chapter 19

When we first got back to the mainland Elliot escorted us all back to Nexus before he made his way to Gemini to give Anya a full report. Something was off about him but we were all so exhausted from the long journey that I figured he was just tired, especially since he wasn't used to being out in the field. We also gave our own report to the Master who said we needed to keep our heads down until he was able to get to the bottom of what was really going on on that mystery island.

Once Trinkette and Libby were done doing their tests on me to make sure the drug was completely out of my system Trinkette made a startling discovery that shook the whole Guild. Apparently the remnants of the drug showed a modified chemical marker that was meant to target my magic essence directly. Ever since Stanton stuck me with that needle everything about me felt off. Like my systems were suddenly unbalanced and crashing, disconnecting from the Stars. In other words, they had a way to render Guardians completely helpless.

Knowing this put everyone in the Guild on high alert. Master Ventis was busier than ever, attending Council meetings, Headmaster gatherings and making sure all the other Guardians were aware of the situation. Everyone was shocked that the Council was making an effort to include the Master but I saw it as an opportunity. This was a great way for Nexus to gain some more allies and for the Master to use his networking skills and gain the trust of some other Guilds which could never hurt. They also didn't have a choice in the matter. This was an all hands on deck situation and in order to keep me, and the rest of the Guardians, safe the Council was willing to go against what they believed in and work with an Outcast Guild for the first time in decades. They were desperate. Until we knew why such a thing existed in the first place and what they planned on using it for I was essentially on lock down and my team agreed to keep an eye on me in shifts.

Naudia let out an exasperated sigh as she slammed shut the last book from the pile she had been working on for the past couple hours.

"You okay?" I mused from across the table, afraid that if I looked up her gaze would actually turn me to stone.

"No, I'm not okay. I'm frustrated," she huffed as I felt her glare bore a hole into my forehead.

I couldn't blame her. I was also frustrated because of the fact that I had re-read the same sentence six times due to her restlessness. We had spent the night in the city's library to try and find any further information about what we saw on the island.

"It's been almost two weeks now and we still haven't heard anything from Elliot," she continued to complain.

"Were you expecting him to give us a report about his report?" I risked keeping it light.

"Well, no. But I still want to know what Anya said when he told her that we didn't find anyone from a House or Guild and instead we ran into Stanton and his fellow rejects."

"You mean subjects?"

"I know what I said," she shrugged.

I let out a soft laugh as my eyes landed on Iris, Serena and Trinkette who all passed out on top of one another while laying on the table in front of us.

"Anya doesn't owe us an explanation, Naudia. She's a Guardian," I huffed that time, unsure of what that word even meant anymore. "Also, no one said you had to stay here overnight with me."

"It would've been my shift this morning anyway," she sighed as she moved to open the same book that she just closed.

Needless to say, neither of us were thrilled about this shift change nonsense.

"You could've stayed behind," I muttered under my breath.

"Yeah, right. And face the wrath of Ryder the Overprotective Handler? I don't think so."