Chapter 27

Ryder

"What the hell was that about, Ryder?" Naudia snapped.

"Who's turn is it to tail Anya?" Ryder muttered, shoving his hands into his pockets.

Ever since the incident on the island the team felt the whole ordeal was too coincidental for comfort. After the Estate General lead troops into Lucerne and Elliot showed up threatening Ryder's position as Handler, Anya's request for Tara to travel to an uncharted island put them on edge before they even left the mainland. They wanted to show Tara that they would be supportive with her decision to trust her friend, but it didn't mean that they had to as well. Anything having to do with Tara's previous life never seemed to favor Nexus and everyone knew it wasn't Tara's fault, but they also knew that if they told her that they were suspicious of Anya then she would feel burdened by placing the Guild in harm's way. Their suspicions were confirmed when Elliot informed Naudia that Anya didn't seem the least bit concerned when they couldn't find anyone belonging to her jurisdiction. When Elliot reported back to her she even seemed a bit agitated and distant, refusing to allow anyone in her quarters. The Ball was the first time anyone had seen or heard from her in days. Something was up and Ryder recruited Hazel, Naudia and Cooper to find out what it was. It wasn't enough though. They needed more time. However, something else was on everyone's mind. Their team was becoming unbalanced.

"Ryder, talk to us. What happened?" Hazel tried.

"What happened is I messed up and there's no way for me to fix it. To take back what I said..."

Ryder shook his head as the regret flooded his entire being. But he knew he did the right thing. If Tara didn't want him as a Handler anymore, if she doubted his abilities, he was going to make it easier on her in letting him go.

"It couldn't have been that bad. I'm sure whatever it is Tara will forgive you. Friends fight and then they forgive, that's just what they do," Cooper tried to assure him.

But when Cooper took another look into Ryder's eyes he saw how dark they had gotten and how rigid his essence had become. It was like a stone wall forcing out anyone who didn't belong, isolating himself. Cooper recognized the intensity in his demeanor. This behavior was familiar.

For a while Cooper had been keeping an eye out for Ryder, watching him closely and monitoring the way his friend had been changing over the past couple months. He knew this change was because Ryder had found his own purpose. He wasn't wandering aimlessly anymore without a clue of where he came from or who he was supposed to be. When he met Tara his past didn't matter anymore and it was his future that mattered more. That had always been what Cooper wanted for his lost friend. However, in that moment, he could sense Ryder spiraling, losing himself once again.

"What did you say to her, Ryder?" he decided to ask him instead.

"It doesn't matter anymore. Tara is no longer my responsibility," Ryder replied as he turned his back and moved away from the group.

"Like hell she isn't!" Elliot yanked Ryder back around and dug his nails into his shoulder.

"Let go of me, Elliot," Ryder gritted his teeth.

"You made a promise to Tara, didn't you? When you vowed to take over as her Handler you promised you wouldn't give up on her."

"I'm not the one who's giving up. She is. On me." Ryder shoved Elliot back a few steps.

"What are you talking about?" Hazel narrowed her eyes.

"She doesn't want me as her Handler anymore! I didn't make the cut."

"Did she actually say that? Those words exactly?" Elliot asked skeptically.

"She didn't have to. I thought I could help her, but..."