Chapter 20

"So? Are you going?!" Jade got in my face as I got ambushed by my guildmates with questions on what the Ball was like and if I was going and who I would see there.

"Everyone in town is talking about it. They seem to be really excited for you," Emilio nodded at me.

"I've always wanted to go to a ball. It seems so magical," Bella blushed.

"Seems a little stuffy if you ask me," Sarge folded his arms.

"Well she didn't ask you," Cal smacked Sarge upside the head.

"It doesn't matter anyway. I didn't get an invite," I shrugged.

"Then what's this?" Dillon quickly swiped the envelope out of my back pocket.

"Dillon, give that back!" I went to chase after him but then saw Ryder was standing in front of him, knocking him off his feet.

"Knock it off, Dillon," Ryder warned him, folding his arms.

"Come on, Dill. Don't be a jerk," Bella sighed at him.

"I just want to see what it says..." he jumped back to his feet and hopped up onto one of the tables.

"No, Dillon! Don't open it!" I reached out for him but it was too late.

As soon as he ripped the seal the envelope vanished into thin air and in its place was a hologram of the head councilman. I hadn't seen his face in a while.

"Greetings. This invitation is for the Guardian of Hope, Light and Balance and her current Handler. Since you have unsealed our invitation you have agreed to attend the Grand Guardian Ball and the preparations for your arrival have begun..."

"Oops...sorry..." Dillon apologized as we all shot him a glare but then continued to listen to what the Councilman had to say.

"Attire is formal, of course, and you are allowed two guests of your choosing. But if you do so happen to choose two members of Nexus then maybe you should give them a crash course in party etiquette..."

"I'll show him some party etiquette," Iris growled from in between me and Ryder.

"You and your guests are to arrive promptly at 6:00 and the rest of your agenda will be transported to the Headmaster of Nexus. We will await your return to us, Guardian," he bowed his head and put a fist over his heart. Then he vanished into the air.

"So a party in our Guardian's honor. This is a big deal," Emilio acknowledged.

"It's really not. It's mainly a ruse to give a bunch of higher ups an excuse to let loose while also having a secret meeting in a disclosed location. While all eyes are on us everyone else is allowed to let their guard down and discuss Council stuff," I explained.

"Will the Dodeca Council actually be there?" Cooper wondered, curiously.

"Probably not. It was rare for Guardians and the Council to ever meet face to face even though they're basically the reason for these events and they're the ones who run them. But, also, since the Council has new members organizing the Ball who knows how it'll go. There are also only a select few who actually know what they look like," I looked at the floorboards, suddenly embarrassed about how much of a spectacle everyone was making of this.

"Sounds like they really want you there if they're willing to acknowledge Ryder as your current Handler and even allow you two more guests," Maser Ventis pointed out as both him and Miranda stood in the center of the room.

"So do you think you will be attending?" Miranda asked and I noticed quite a few of my guildmates leaned in with anticipation, waiting for my answer.

"I don't know if I want to, honestly. But, since Dillon opened the invite they'll be assuming that I'll make an appearance..." I glared over at Dillon and he just rubbed the back of his neck. "I have to think about it."