Chapter 29

The group caught the fake Tara off guard as she tried to slip out the back. Cooper rushed at her and pinned her up against the wall as Hazel took a step forward and forced the earth to move up through the marble floor and wrap around the girl's legs, trapping her in place. Naudia had an ice spear levitating in the air ready to pierce through the girl's left eye while Ryder had a fist of fire ready to burn a hole through her stomach.

"Where's Tara?" they all demanded.

"Are you all crazy? What are you talking about?" she shrieked.

"I'm only asking one more time. Where is Tara?" Cooper slid his arm up and pushed on her neck. She coughed, gasping for breath.

Ryder had never seen Cooper so worked up before, not like this, and he had especially never seen Hazel ready to kill someone before. But the blood lust was there. And as for Naudia, Ryder couldn't think of a single time when he saw her ready to fight for someone other than herself.

"Okay, okay, you got me," she choked out, a smirk forming on her face.

Cooper didn't let up.

"Damn. How did you guys catch on so fast? I thought I could have at least fooled you long enough to get into your Guild," she laughed, darkness filling her eyes.

"No way would we ever mistake you for Tara. Now tell us who you are and where you took her and the other Guardians," Hazel barked.

"Hmmm let me think about it. No," she rolled her eyes.

"We don't have time for this," Ryder grunted as he grabbed her from underneath Cooper, ripped her out of Hazel's rock restraints and dragged her down the hall.

Ryder found a side door and kicked it open as they all stumbled onto the patio that led out to the courtyard where the scent of different flowers from the gardens nearby filled the air and an Olympic sized fountain was being displayed in the center. None of them were even able to enjoy the majestic sight of the golden fountain shimmering under the stars or the way the flowers bloomed under the moonlight.

Ryder threw the impostor into the fountain, jumped in behind her and then dunked her head under the surface. She flailed around as he held her under and then pulled her back up.

"Where did your people take Tara and what do you want with her?"

"Bite me," she coughed out water and then spit it in his face.

"Wrong answer," he gritted his teeth at this person who had the nerve to continue using Tara's face against him.

He knew it was just an illusion spell but there was still a person under the mask and there were still 12 other people hiding in the shadows, masquerading as the other Guardians. 13 human beings were missing and no one even noticed or had any idea where they were. They didn't have time for games.

She screamed out as his flames burnt off clumps of hair that he held in his fist and scorched her scalp. He shoved her back under to muffle her screams.

"You can't save her! It's already too late!" she choked out when he pulled her back up.

"Not if I have anything to say about it. Where is Anya performing the ritual?" he demanded.

She stared up at him for a long moment and then snarled her teeth.

"I can't wait to see the despair in your eyes, Ryder. But don't worry. When Tara is dead you will still have my shoulder to cry on."

Ryder was struggling to hold back the darkness inside his heart as he shoved her back under the water and was prepared to let her drown by his hand.

"Ryder, you can't kill her!" Hazel's voice sounded so distant in his ears.