Return to New

Something hits me. Hard. Again. Once more. I jolt awake, facing what's hitting me. It's a giant bird, trying to peck me. My body freezes. Red chest, black head and back. It's a robin. I'd like to imagine I have some connection to this type of bird due to my name, but I definitely don't. Especially with one so big. 

I grab a branch (or a twig), and start pointing it at the bird. "Get back, beast!" I shout. "Back! Shoo! Go away!" It remains where it is. I poke its balloon chest, causing it to squawk. "I said... go! Away!" I poke it twice more, and it finally flies off, it's wings blowing intense air into my face. Dumbass bird. I throw the stick down and pick up my luggage, continuing on. The map shows two stars, one at the edge of the forest and one at his house. I have to follow the purple-ish line to get where I need to go. I was brought to and from the house last time using the yellow path, cutting into the red path and then into the green one.

Left here. It's a very wide turn, but it's not fit for a human anyway. There are more white marks to help me. It melts my heart. The sun is shining through the leaves again, making me feel calm and safe. Thankfully, the sun and shade are at a nice balance to where I don't need to break every 15 minutes or so.

I sit at a rock and take a break for a sort of lunch. Crackers, what a gourmet meal. It really works just fine. Up and away again. The map shows a right soon. From there it's straight for a while. Sounds good.

99,997, 99,998, 99,999, 100,000. Not nearly as exciting as I'd hoped. It's fine, I'm getting along. My guess is I'm near the middle of the straight line. Phone's at 88%, reads 4:32pm. Little by little, I'll be there eventually.

I can't believe the size of this forest. I've accepted it, but I don't think I'll process it any time soon. I've talked enough about the trees, but I can't even get passed the boulders, passing for rocks, and every "small" stream showing itself as a grand river. The animals are sized accordingly to the forest, with birds taller than me (as I know now all too well) and squirrels the size of tigers. I can never see this becoming normal to me, but I don't mind that at all.

The sun continues to kiss my skin, and I apply another layer of sunblock. The aloe I applied earlier did a good job of curing my burn into a tan. I just hope it doesn't keep going, I don't want tight-feeling skin while I'm there. Okay, left turn here. Now it's just a slightly curvy path and I'll be there.

I'm getting real tired. I just need to take a breather. My body falls into the lush grass, staring up into the sky. Eyelids are heavy. Everything's heavy. Just a small break...

A bird squawk wakes me up. Shit, what time is it? 7:25pm. I need to get there by sundown. I move at a quicker pace, hoping I'm on the second part of the curve by now. Any sign of his house?

None so far. Keep going, keep going. I have to be close. The sun falls. In the darkness, I'm lost without light. I can't keep my phone going too long. I'm about to try to hike out a place to sleep, when I notice a dim light from far away. Walking closer, I see the source. House lights. Massive house lights a hundred feet in the air. His house is right in view.

I book it, my luggage running over rocks (or gravel I suppose) and roots, jittering with every hit and throwing me off course. I don't even care; I keep going anyway. He'd better be awake. Eventually, I finally reach the doorstep, throwing my luggage on the ground and pulling out the roll of tape. Excellent. Ripping off a three-foot-long piece with my teeth, I throw it onto the door frame and go to town. Once I reach the door bell, I hold onto the tape, throw myself back and kick the button, hoping it emitted a sound. I pull the tape and drop, allowing it to stick every few feet so I stay safe.

I finally reach the ground and throw it back in, zipping it up just in time to hear loud stomping. How blissfully unaware he is that it's me, he wouldn't be this loud had he suspected. The door opens and I see socks and sweatpants, and my eyes trail up to see his head peeking out. Austin. It's definitely hitting me now, how badly I missed him. "It's nine o'clock, what do you nee- oh." He looks left and right, straight on, before shrugging and beginning to close the door again.

"NO! WAIT!" I start jumping and waving my arms, and he promptly looks down. His eyes shoot open all the way. 

"ROBIN!" He yells in a mixture of surprise and excitement, swooping down and... pausing. "Wait, am I allowed to hold you?"

"Absolutely," I reply, and sure enough, he resumes, grabbing me softly with cupped palms. He brings me up to his chest and holds me tight against him, moving in circles. I never want to let go.

The storm has passed, and all is calm.