In Which The Story Begins

An X can stand for a lot of things.
X means "no."
X is a kiss.
X means times, don't forget those times.
X is a blank, you must search long and hard to fill its emptiness.
X is someone who used to be yours.
X means multiplication, something repeated over and over and over again.

But right now, even though it may take on those meanings one day...today X is a boy.

He's only eighteen or so, and he dropped out of high school. He isn't that strange a boy, he has things he likes and people he loves.

One of these people is his older brother.
That's who he's thinking about as he loads his gun before heading out for the night.

He treks through the rain all down his long driveway and when he gets to the wrought iron gate he makes sure to close it behind him.

And there's an aura in the air. It's an aura of danger, just like there is every time he leaves the 'comfort' of his shell of a home.

But it isn't X's job to run from danger.

Stellaluna Maluhia slams a dresser drawer closed, maybe a little too violently.
"Boom! I've officially moved in! And now, you can't kick me out no matter what I do!" She calls cheerfully, striding into the kitchen where her new roommate Peggy is drinking her morning coffee.

"I can kick you out." Peggy replies monotone, taking a sip from her mug.

Stellaluna twirls her long brown hair around her finger
"But you won't."

Everything about Stellaluna seems to contrast drastically with her roommate of two days University student Peggy Cervello.

From her life to her attitude to her looks, they aren't alike in most ways. Peggy has wondered since Stellaluna arrived two days ago whether or not this living arrangement would last more than a week.

"Breakfast?" Peggy offers.

Stellaluna shakes her head.
"Already ate the chicken wing takeout."

"Well I'm still making some for Crystal."

Stellaluna raises an eyebrow.
"Crystal?"

Peggy pulls some ingredients out of the fridge and places them onto the kitchen counter.
"I said- and I quote- accepting roomates to help pay rent. Someone else applied to move in and I accepted."

Stellaluna rolls her eyes
"You just can't say no?"

"Hmm. She's a high school junior. Relocated from Washington."

"A gifted Washington high schooler? Not in my swamp."

Suddenly there's a loud knock on the door and Peggy leaps up to open it.
When she opens the door she finds herself looking down at a short, chubby girl with dark skin and two buns in her hair.
"Hi!!" The girl beams, her eyes sparkling with a genuine, warm, kindness.

"Speak of the devil." Stellaluna drawls.
After leaning to get a better look she concludes
"Scratch that. This kid's a middle school Girl Scout."

Before Peggy has a chance to respond the young girl continues
"My name is Crystal! You must be Peggy! So excited to live with you!"

Peggy smiles a rather motherly smile.
"Well, we're excited to have you, too."

Crystal tilts her head so that she can see inside. She waves at Stellaluna.
"I didn't know I'd have two roommates! What schools do you go to?"

"Forfield's Christian University, it's just down the street." Peggy claims.

Crystal's eyes seem to light up
"University?! You must be really smart!"